Chapter Seven


Oklahoma Territory, early June, 1883


Madeleine Wheeler set the telegram down with a sigh. Her mother was refusing to come to Oklahoma to meet Jasper. In fact, she was threatening to disown Madeleine. That somewhat amused the young woman. Grace had no control over their money. And Matthew wouldn’t let her. Madeleine knew Grace was only concerned with society’s opinion anyway. She personally didn’t care if no one in the New York set would receive her; she never had. Especially since she had learned there was so much more to life than parties and the right marriage.

The right marriage would be to the man she loved. And Madeleine had already decided it would be this fall.

She crumpled the telegram and tossed it in the fireplace. It would be hard to hide it from Jasper, he always seemed to know what she was feeling.

Right now, her heart ached for the Beldens. She had come to love them all dearly over the last year; they gave her the real family she never had.

And now Bobby was gone. He, Terry, Larry and William were often about the house playing football or following Regan around. The little boy with the sandy blond curls wouldn’t be here anymore, she thought sadly, tears welling in her eyes. There would be one less little boy laughing.

She reached up and brushed her eyes. She wore mourning black in honor of Bobby, as did his family. He was the closest thing to a little brother she had had.

Rising, she checked her reflection to be sure her tears weren’t evident before she rode over to Trixie’s. She’d deal with her mother later.

***

Ben Riker smiled as he signed the sale slip. He now owned almost every building and structure in this town.

Soon enough, he’d own the town itself.

***

Matthew and Regan had returned in time for Bobby’s funeral, and William threw himself at Regan, sobbing. Regan had comforted the boy while holding back his own tears, for he had adored the mischievous little imp with the blonde curls.

***

That evening, Regan found himself restless. Unable to relax, and uninterested in reading, he went down to the stables, to his faithful friends who always made him feel better.

He paused in the doorway, finding Ayla trying to lift one of the heavy saddles from its place. For a moment he admired the view, her trim figure and long, golden braid down her back.

“Need some help?” he asked.

Startled, she turned, and her face flooded with red.

“I thought I’d go for a ride. I didn’t want to disturb you.”

“It’s not a problem. Here, let me.” He easily picked up the saddle. “You want Ivory?”

“Yes, please.” Ayla had come to adore the even tempered, mellow white horse. She watched as Regan led Ivory out and in a few moments, had her saddled and ready.

“I thought you had retired for the night,” she said.

“No. I was feeling unsettled so I came down here to go for a ride.”

A faint smile touched Ayla’s lips. They had to talk sooner or later. “Would you like to join me?” she asked tentatively.

He looked up at her and studied her for a moment. “I don’t want to intrude, but I’m not keen on you riding out at night by yourself.”

“It’s not intruding. Some company would be nice.”

Regan nodded and she waited while he saddled his horse.

Together, they left the stable and led the horses to the most well trodden path through the preserve. The trails were well marked now, with colored ribbons at certain points. The yellow ribbons indicated they had crossed onto Crabapple Farm, the red were Manor Estate, blue for the Lynch property, and purple for the Frayne land. There were still a few unmarked trails but Regan knew where they led, to Mr. Maypenny’s cabin deep in the preserve. The old hermit preferred his trails not be marked, as he didn’t usually appreciate visitors.

They stayed to the red trails, the horses meandered happily. Neither Regan nor Ayla spoke; neither knew where to begin.

“I’m glad you stayed,” Regan finally said.

Ayla nodded, before she remembered that in the darkened forest, he couldn’t really see her.

“So am I.”

Several more moments passed.

“I apologize for being so distant,” she blurted out.

Regan shook his head. “Don’t apologize. I’ve been trying to hold back to give you some space.”

“I appreciate that,” she answered. “Jasper is so much more…free with his affection. The freedoms of youth,” she smiled to herself.

“Well, different situation, you know. Besides, those kids are crazy about each other.”

Ayla bit her lip to keep from confessing how she felt.

“Do you think Mrs. Wheeler will allow them to marry?”

“I don’t think she has as much say as she thinks she does,” Regan answered. “I’ve known them a long time and quite frankly, Matthew does rule the roost. She may not allow Madeleine to come visit her, but somehow, I don’t think Madeleine will care. She hated life in New York, and she hated all the social requirements and rules. If she wants to marry Jasper, I think Matthew will let it happen.”

“I hope so. He was so lost and miserable without her.”

“So was Madeleine. I’ve never seen her in such despair as when she thought it was over between them. She hasn’t had the best luck with being courted.”

“She’s a lovely girl. Jasper is completely smitten with her.”

“I believe the feeling is mutual. I wouldn’t be surprised if the wedding is this summer, before Grace can come out here and turn things upside down.”

“I hope so. Her best friends are already married, I’m sure she feels a bit left out.”

“Possibly. But I think they’ll be okay.”

They lapsed into a more comfortable silence.

“How are the Beldens?” Ayla asked.

“Not good. Bobby came late in life, you know, but he was pretty much adored by everyone. That little imp was just so…energetic.”

“Are they sure it was an accident?” she asked softly. “We both know that stage coach horses are well-tempered and trained.”

Regan sighed. “Dan doesn’t think so. He and Fenton both think that horse was spooked.”

Ayla shuddered. “Who would do such a heinous thing to a little boy?”

“They don’t believe Bobby was the intended target.”

“What!” Ayla gasped. “Who, then?”

“Dan or Trixie,” Regan said grimly.

“But who on earth would have that kind of grudge against them?”

“Dan didn’t say. But he’s out to find proof.”

“Poor Bobby,” Ayla whispered, brushing her eyes. William was devastated by the loss of his friend, and of course, being at the funeral of someone so young had been heart wrenching for her. “I hope Dan finds whoever did it and hangs him!”

“You and me both,” Regan answered.

“This is nice,” she said after a few more minutes of silence.

“Riding at night? I find it soothing.”

“Riding with you.”

Regan gave himself a small smile. That was progress.

“Any time,” he answered, unsure of what to say.

“I’d like to start over,” she finally said.

Regan’s heart surged. Had she really just said that?

“You’re sure?” he asked.

She nodded. “Slowly though.”

“Of course,” he answered calmly as his heart took off racing. He could court her, properly.

“Technically, I am still in mourning,” she said. “But the last few weeks…I can’t help but think that we came out here for a reason. Our paths crossed again after all this time and I can’t help but think…”

Regan waited.

“…well, I just want to see what might happen.”

“That’s all I asking for,” he said, “is a chance. We’re not kids anymore, I realize that. But of all the places in the country for you to show up…I have to think it’s meant to be.”

Ayla smiled at him. “No promises, Bill.”

Regan nodded. He had a chance. Finally!

***

Madeleine Wheeler knocked on her father’s study, opening the door when he called out to her.

“Hello, darling. Something on your mind?”

“Yes, Father.” She shut the door and sat across from him.

Matthew put down his ledger and looked at his unusually serious daughter.

“Are you ill?”

“No. But I am frustrated with Mother.”

Matthew nodded. He wasn’t surprised. “Your Mother can be…unwieldy.”

“She’s being horrible!” Madeleine burst out. “I know Jasper has talked to you!”

He nodded again. “Yes, he has.”

“Why does Mother even have a say in the matter?” Madeleine demanded. “She hasn’t been here in almost a year, she had no idea what’s gone on out here. It isn’t fair that she gets to say I can’t marry Jasper when she hasn’t even met him!”

“Your mother has very black and white notions about what’s proper,” he said. “She comes from old money, and some things are simply not acceptable to her sort.”

“Too bad!” Madeleine almost shouted. Her father raised one eyebrow. “I love Jasper! And he loves me. And she is not enough reason that we shouldn’t be allowed to marry! She can stay in New York with her fancy parties for all I care. All I want is to marry Jasper!”

Matthew rubbed his chin. “”Social standing aside, how does Jasper plan to support you?” he asked. “He’s a delivery boy for Lytell. That doesn’t exactly earn a high wage. Most men wouldn't be comfortable living under their father-in-law’s roof.”

“I don’t know. He’ll find something. He said he could always try his hand at being a cowboy. I know Jim would hire him for Ten Acres!”

Matthew knew this to be true; Jasper had talked to him about it just last week. Matthew didn’t mind them staying with him. Fact was, the house would be too empty if they left. And Miss Trask would be out of a job as well.

“I don’t care about the money, Father, I just want to be with him. I can always take a job teaching, I do have my certificate!”

“Even if it means leaving Sleepyside?” Matthew asked.

She nodded defiantly. “We’ll manage, Father.”

Matthew studied his daughter for a moment, then opened the drawer of his desk and handed his daughter a telegram. Madeleine took it, puzzled until her eyes flew over the paper.

“Mother’s coming out here?” she gasped.

Matthew nodded soberly.

“’To put a stop to this nonsense’?!” She gaped at her father. “Father, she’s coming in two weeks! If she gets out here, she might drag me back to New York! Or try to get rid of Jasper! What if she brings someone for me to marry!?”

Matthew nodded. “Which is why I already have a plan.”

***

The Beldens were there in full force, still in black for mourning, and Madeleine had chosen the darker colored dress and quiet ceremony out of respect for their loss. There was no huge turnout of townspeople, only the Beldens, Lynches, Mangans, Fraynes, Miss Trask, Regan, Ayla and William. Madeleine wanted just them present, and a simple ceremony to mark the occasion.

Two days before Grace Wheeler arrived in Sleepyside, dressed in a dark green velvet dress, Madeleine Wheeler married Jasper O’Malley in front of their family and friends on the lawn of Manor House, under the massive oak tree.










***
Author’s Notes
- A huge thank you to Julie, my editor! As always, she did a marvelous job editing, and to Lindsay, who helped name it.
- I tried to write Helen and Peter's reaction to Bobby's death, and I couldn't. Their grief is not ignored, but I couldn't convey it with the proper respect it was due.
- Word Count, 2,166

Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © Random House books. Fenton Hardy is copyright © Simon and Schuster. Real life characters such as Alan Pinkerton belong to history. All references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission. All non-Trixie Belden characters belong to AmazonWitch,Inc.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.