Late November 1882, Oklahoma (Indian) Territory



Ben Riker strolled out of the saloon with a smug smile. It never took but a few drinks to get people talking. The women in this town ignored him, except for the whores, and a fair amount of the men chose not to deal with him. But once a round or two of shot were purchased, people got a lot friendlier. Cash opened a lot of doors and signed contracts.

It had been some man asking about New York that Ben got his idea. He downplayed the size of New York, and mentioned he actually knew Marshal Mangan. They had been friends once, Ben told him, and did some serious carousing together among the saloons of New York City. The men were visibly startled at the bit of fake news. The marshal always seemed like such a gentleman, and he courted that crazy Belden girl. Ben assured them of the wild times he and Dan had shared.

By lunchtime the next day, the town would be awash with the scandalous news.

***

Brian drifted into the saloon, the fourth night in a row. He didn’t see Lillian, and his heart sunk. He took a seat at the bar and ordered a whiskey, keeping his eyes open for her. She had a customer, he thought sadly. The image of her lying under some random, dirty, disgusting man made him feel ill.

“She ain’t working tonight,” Jack, the barkeep said.

“Excuse me?” Brian asked, startled.

“You lookin’ fer Lily. She ain’t workin’ tonight. Had an accident this mornin’.”

“What kind of accident?” He demanded. “I’m the doctor who treats the girls, why wasn’t I notified?”

Jack shrugged. “Swegin don’t like outside help. She’s in the last room down the hall there if you wanna take a look at her.”

Brian left his whiskey untouched.

He knocked gently on the door. There was no answer so he gingerly tried to turn the handle. It was locked. He knocked again, louder. After a pause, he heard it unlocked and the door cracked open.

“Lily?” he asked softly. The big blue eye widened and she pulled the door open just a hair.

“Dr. Belden, you shouldn’t be here. Swegin didn’t want you called!”

“Let me in,” he said firmly. “Or I will open this door myself.”

She hesitated and then opened the door. Brian stepped in and his heart sunk.

The eye he hadn’t seen through the door crack was black and puffy. Her lip had been spilt open as well.

“Who did this?” he asked tightly.

She shook her head. “It was my fault, Dr. Belden.”

“I’ve told you to call me Brian,” he replied, gently touching her face on her chin and raising it up just a bit. She didn’t answer as he studied her face. “I’ll be back with something for that.”

“Please, don’t,” she said. “Mr. Swegin won’t like it. It was my fault!”

“Why do you think that, Lillian?” he asked. “What could you have possibly done?”

She shook her head. “I’d rather not say. But it was bad. He could have turned me out all together, and then where would I be?”

Brian frowned. “I don’t believe you did anything to deseve being hit,” he said sternly. “There’s nothing a woman can do to warrant that.”

Lillian looked away, downcast. “Just believe me. I know when I’m in the wrong.”

“Is that why you’re not out there tonight?” he asked.

She nodded. “No one wants a beat up whore. Swegin said I could have tonight off. He felt bad about hitting me.”

Brian doubted it.

“Please let me bring you something for the pain. I know that hurts,” he said quietly.

“I’ll be okay. It’s not the first time,” she smiled tentatively. “Really, I don’t want anything.”

Brian frowned. “I don’t like leaving you here without anything to help.”

“It’s best,” she assured him. “You should go, Brian, before Swegin comes and checks on me. He wouldn’t be happy you’re here.”

Brian didn’t want to leave her. He wanted her to go with him. A girl, a whore, who he barely knew, and he wanted to take care of her. His family might think him nuts. He hoped word hadn’t gotten back to his father, the mayor, as to the amount of time he spent here every night.

“All right,” he finally agreed. “But if I can still see that bruise come the checkup on Wednesday, I will raise hell with Swegin about you girls getting knocked around.”

She nodded reluctantly.

Brian wanted to hug her, but he didn’t, taking his leave instead.

***

Jim was headed into Lytell’s store when he saw Ben Riker, lighting a cigarette as he strolled down the walkway.

Riker had spotted him, Jim realized, and gritted his teeth. He did not want to talk to the guy.

Riker just nodded to him as he passed, a slight smirk on his lips. Jim resisted the urge to follow him and hit the guy. Dan’s reasons for disliking the man put him high on Jim’s list of people to not associate with.

Walking into the store, he nodded to two ladies who were standing and chatting. Their responses were frosty glares, and they hurried out of the store. Jim frowned. What was that about? Usually the townspeople greeted him cheerfully, or at least politely.

“Afternoon, Mr. Lytell,” Jim greeted the cantankerous older man.

“Afternoon it is, can’t be night soon enough,” he replied. “These old bones like their sleep.”

Jim chuckled as he pulled out the list of supplies, the two women forgotten.

***

Hallie tucked her blouse into her skirt as Ben dressed. Another tryst in the barn, blankets thrown down in the hayloft. Hallie wasn’t allowed to leave Crabapple Farm, so Ben came to her.

He smiled as he pulled a piece of hay from her hair. “You’re beautiful, you know.”

She turned to him, one eyebrow raised. “Well, thank you Mr. Riker. You’re quite handsome yourself.”

Ben drew her close for another kiss that left her weak in the knees.

Hallie knew she was playing with fire and didn’t care. Ben was her ideal man. Everything she wanted, she had right here. She knew that he knew they were good together, and she expected more to come of this affair than just the physical. They were well matched, she thought, in all ways. The occasional thought of being Mrs. Ben Riker thrilled her.

“You know,” he grazed his lips over her neck, “you’re really just delectable.”

Hallie giggled. “Well, you can feast all you want, next time. I have to get back inside before Uncle Peter catches me.”

“Of course,” Ben sighed loudly. Bundling up, he waited until she was headed back to the house before he got on his horse and headed home. Once the snow came down their trysts wouldn’t be so easy. It was already bitterly cold most nights and barely warmer during the days.

Keeping her interested wasn’t a problem. The girl was starving for male attention and locked up most of the time. Easy pickings. Ben did enjoy her wit and humor, and she would fit well into his plans.

He could move her into a hotel room in town. Not his, though. He didn’t want her that close, underfoot all the time. But if he kept her, it would make it harder to visit the saloon girls. He suspected Hallie had a jealous temper. And he liked his other girls. Especially that Lily, the new girl. Easily intimidated and often gone to a room with Brian Belden. Ben had only managed to visit her twice. But word was slowly spreading that the good doctor, the mayor’s oldest son, was spending his nights with a prostitute.

The other Belden boy had beaten murder charges months ago, but there were other ways to stir up trouble. Their association with Mangan played perfectly into Ben’s plans. Ben and Mangan were distantly related; Mangan’s uncle was a cousin of Matthew Wheeler, Ben’s uncle by Matthew’s marriage to Madeleine Hart. But Ben felt no family loyalty to Mangan. Not after what Mangan had done in New York.

***

Dan Mangan opened his eyes when he heard footsteps outside his room. He smiled, knowing exactly who those quick, eager steps belonged to.

The door opened and Trixie poked her blonde head in.

“Come in,” he greeted her. He could sit up in bed by himself now, and had regained his color.

“Hi,” Trixie smiled and came in, sitting on the edge of his bed. He took her hand and kissed it.

“What’s the latest in the outside world I’m cut off from?” he asked, his dark eyes twinkling.

Trixie made a face. “Not much. The second saloon is complete and the owner brought in a whole crop of new…ladies.” Trixie wrinkled her nose.

Dan chuckled. “Nothing like a little competition among thieves,” he said cheerfully.

Trixie shuddered. “Marshal Hardy seems to be handling things okay. There doesn’t seem to be a spike in crime, but I don’t go into town too often, it’s so cold. Once the snow comes, there won’t be much travel, other than to here or Madeleine’s. Winters are pretty brutal.”

“As long as I have you to come see me,” he said quietly.

Trixie felt herself grow warm under his gaze. “Of course,” she said, staring at him longingly. She wanted to kiss him but didn’t dare, the door was open, and Brian had been adamant about no exertion for Dan.

“I’d marry you this week if your brother would okay me to move around,” he said suddenly, his eyes on her intense, his fingers wrapping her around her tightly.

Trixie felt herself turn red. Di had read to them enough from her Victorian novels that she knew what would happen on her wedding night. If a simple kiss from Dan was enough to leave her weak and wanting more, she grew lightheaded at what else was to come.

“I haven’t finished my trousseau,” she murmured.

Dan chuckled. “As if that’s important.” His fingers stroked her hand. “I’m going crazy stuck in this bed, Trix. I can’t even hold you and it’s driving me insane. “

Trixie nodded. She missed their stolen kisses, and the way he touched her.

“Maybe Christmas,” he said. “Would you like a winter wedding?”

Trixie felt her mouth go dry. “I thought you wanted to wait till spring.”

“Not really.” His eyes searched her face intently. “Trixie, you don’t regret this, do you?”

“No,” she said emphatically. “I don’t. I do love you, Dan. It’s just, the thought of getting married, running my own household—I’m not Moms! I don’t know how to juggle cooking and cleaning and raising children. The thought terrifies me, Dan,” she blurted out. “I hate dusting, I’m not a great cook and well, Bobby once got bit a pygmy rattlesnake when I was supposed to be watching him!”

Dan smiled at her and raised her hand to his lips again. “Trixie, I have every confidence in you. I’m sure your mother will give you all the advice you need, and there’s my mother too. They’ll both be close by, you can call on them whenever. We won’t be running a working farm so it’s not as you’ll be confined to it. I expect you’d want to help your family with the harvest and all, and that’s fine. I think father is looking to clear some land come spring and start some farming, but it will take a lot of time before it’s up and running.”

“It just seems like so much to do,” she murmured. “I’ve never been good at the domestic stuff!”

Dan rubbed her hand. “Trixie, I promise it will be all right. We’ll make it all work, just you wait and see.”

***

Regan tossed and turned, unable to sleep. He had to talk to Ayla. He had to know if the boy was his. She couldn’t really deny it. Jim and Dan both knew; Jim had figured it out almost instantly after the day he met Ayla. Surely anyone who looked at them saw the startling differences. Maybe they claimed he was adopted. Whatever the story was, Regan knew he had to find out. He wanted his son, and his first love.

***

Jim had picked up the thick packet from the post and headed to the Wheeler estate. There he picked up Regan, and they made their way to the Frayne ranch, to see Dan and go over the report. It had taken what seemed like months for the Pony Express to deliver the mail, though it was only a week or so.

Regan scanned the letter. “No criminal background in New York City or Rochester. He hooked up with the circus ten years ago, and left when he didn’t like the way it was being run. He married the ringmaster’s daughter, Ayla Martin shortly after joining the circus. He’s been raising his nephew for a number of years—that must be the Indian looking boy.”

Jim and Dan agreed.

“There’s nothing here we don’t know yet but they’re still looking. This is just the preliminary report,” Regan grumbled.

“If Malley showed up sometime after you left, and married Ayla shortly after, he had to have known she was pregnant, or else her father paid him to do so. No man willingly marries a woman carrying another man’s child unless he truly loves her,” Dan mused. “And an old man like that doesn’t marry a girl half his age without some incentive.”

“This does say he was married once before, she died of fever. They didn’t have kids. Maybe he figured this would give him an heir and he gets a pretty young wife in the bargain,” Jim suggested. “They haven’t had kids since, so maybe he’s incapable.”

The other two nodded. “It makes sense,” Regan admitted. “Because I knew Ayla well, and there’s no way she would have willingly married that old codger.”

“Maybe it was an ultimatum. She marries him or Martin throw her out.”

“I have trouble imagining that scenario, Jim. Martin loved her more than anything. I can’t imagine he would seriously consider disowning his daughter.”

“What if she did it to get back at her father?” Dan asked. “Maybe she’s not the victim. What better way to piss off your father than to be pregnant by a boy he hates, and marry a man older than him?”

Regan half smiled. “That actually sounds like her. And trust me, she’s hard to resist. A lonely old man like that? He wouldn’t have stood a chance.”

Dan wondered about his uncle’s lost love. Distraught victim used as a bargaining chip, or rebellious daughter out to return the pain her father inflicted? Either way, he had a young cousin that they needed to check on. But how to get someone to do so? Regan and Jim couldn’t go, it’d be too obvious. He needed someone more unknown, but friendly…

***

“Regan has a what?” Trixie demanded.

Dan sighed and waited for the shock to wear off. “Trixie, lower your voice. We’re keeping this under wraps for now.”

Trixie sank on to the edge of the bed. “I can’t believe it! I saw the boy but I didn’t think much of it.”

Dan nodded. “I know. But we need your help.”

“I’m all ears,” she said excitedly, leaning forward.

“Regan goes near them, it will cause trouble. I know your Ma has already invited them to supper and they haven’t come.”

Trixie nodded.

“I need you to go by the house. Take a good look at the boy. Chat up Miss Ayla. Try not to be too obvious.”

Trixie giggled. “Um, Dan, this is me you’re talking to. I’m not exactly subtle. But I think I know someone who is and has a better way in.”

***

Madeleine smiled at Ayla as she dismounted from Lady. Jasper had come out to greet her and held Lady’s reins.

“Hello,” she had greeted him. “I was out for a ride and thought I’d drop by. I haven’t met your aunt yet.”

“Sure thing,” he said with a quick smile, his eyes drinking her in. She had worn her green riding habit and matching cloak, the warm velvet keeping her from freezing. Miss Trask was with her, bundled warmly on another gray horse. Turning towards the house, he yelled Ayla’s name.

“It’s awfully cold out here, why don’t I take the horses to the table?” he asked.

Ayla appeared in the doorway and hurried out to them. “Hello there!”

“Ayla, this is Madeline Wheeler, and her companion, Miss Trask.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Ayla smiled. “Please, come in where it’s warm.”

The women accepted and Jasper hurried the horses to the stable.

Madeleine admired the snug, neat little house with the blazing fire. William, the redheaded son, was sitting at the table, studying, but looked up, his green eyes curious. Madeleine resisted the urge to run to him and study every feature. She didn’t care for the deception she was about to commit to but they had to get to the bottom of things. Regan had a son, and the boy and mother might need help of some sort.

Ayla offered them coffee, which both women accepted.

“Please, do have a seat. I’m afraid the table is the only place with enough chairs,” Ayla said.

“Lovely, thank you.” Madeleine and Miss Trask took a seat and Ayla joined them. Madeleine’s eyes kept drifting to William, who had gone back to his schoolwork.

“To what we do owe the pleasure of a visit on such a cold day?” Ayla asked, curious.

“I realized I hadn’t had a chance to come welcome our new neighbors,” Madeleine smiled. “We’re the estate to your northwest, just past Crabapple Farm.”

“Oh, yes, the Beldens. Wonderful people, the little I’ve interacted with them,” Ayla replied.

“I’m very good friends with their daughter, and I’ve met Jasper a few times, so I thought I must pay the new family a call. How are you liking it out here?”

“It’s cold,” Ayla laughed. “New York could be pretty cold too, but this just seems bitter.”

Madeleine nodded. “I’m from New York as well, and it’s my first winter here too. With our places being so far out from town, we must make it a point to get together during the winter. Trixie tells me it gets quite lonely out this way and she’s very eager to finally have several neighbors.”

“That would be fun,” Ayla said shyly. “I haven’t had too many people around my age to interact with.”

“Well, lucky for you, we have a bunch!” Honey beamed. “There’s me, Trixie, her brothers, her beau and his brother, and her brother’s betrothed and my cousins, and I’m sure we can’t be too far apart in age. It will be wonderful to have some parties this winter!”

Ayla laughed, slightly dizzy at trying to follow the list Madeleine had fired off. “I believe there are a couple boys too, about William’s age?”

“Oh yes. Bobby Belden and the Lynch twins. They’re always getting into some sort of scrape but they’re good boys.”

“William has mentioned them,” Ayla agreed. “William, you go to school with them, don’t you?”

William nodded.

“You’re a very handsome boy, William. I’m guessing you’re about twelve?” Madeleine asked.

“Ten,” he said shyly, with a small smile.

“You look two more years, easily,” Madeleine smiled. “Such a tall, strong, young man!”

William turned red, exactly like Regan did, Madeleine noted. Ayla suddenly looked wary.

“Jasper told me you used to be with the circus?” Madeleine asked.

A pained look flashed across Ayla’s face. “Yes, I was an acrobat.”

“That’s so exciting. It must have been thrilling, flying through the air like that!”

Ayla chuckled. “It was. I loved doing it.”

“You’re so lucky, to be able to do something like that you enjoy so much,” Madeleine said wistfully. “Do you mind me asking why you left?”

“Poor management,” Ayla replied. “And my husband wanted to try farming. So he bought some land and here we are.”

“What a momentous life change,” Madeleine mused. “I can’t help but notice William’s hair. Did he get it from his father?”

Ayla tensed immediately. “There are redheads further back in my family. It was quite startling, as my husband has brown hair.”

“Such a handsome boy,” Madeleine admired him. “You must be proud.”

“Of course,” Ayla replied. “If he’d just stop drawing horses instead of paying attention in class, his grades would be much better.”

Madeleine filed that bit of information away mentally.

The door opened and Jasper came in with a blast of cold air. “Sorry, ladies,” he shut the door behind him. “Ayla, Thom is back. He’s in the stables.”

Ayla nodded. “Thank you, Jasper.”

"We should be going,” Madeleine said. “I’m sure it’s nearing supper time and I don’t want to keep you.”

“Thank you so much for stopping by,” Ayla said.

“You’re very welcome. Could we expect you and your family for supper this Sunday?”

“Oh, I don’t know…I’ll need to talk to Thom.”

“Of course,” Madeleine replied cheerfully. “Just send us word.”

The two women bundled up and were on their way. After Jasper returned from bringing them their horses, he studied his aunt.

“You all right?” he asked.

Ayla nodded. “Yes. Sometimes it just seems odd to have people stop by.”

“I know you miss the circus,” he said quietly. “I do too. But I think we can make a good life out here.”

Ayla nodded. She couldn’t tell Jasper about Regan. Here, of all places, the only man she had truly loved had resurfaced. She must avoid him at all costs, and keep William away. Regan already suspected. Thom couldn’t. He knew William wasn’t his son, but if he thought William’s biological father was here, he’d be furious and there would be hell to pay. It had been her suggestion to come out west.







Author Notes

- a huge yee-haa! to Julie (Macjest), my ever patient and helpful editor for this universe! All mistakes are mine.
-Word count 3,669

Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © Random House books. Fenton Hardy is copyright © Simon and Schuster. Real life characters such as Alan Pinkerton belong to history. All references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission. All non-Trixie Belden characters belong to AmazonWitch,Inc.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.