November 1882, Oklahoma (Indian) Territory



Urging Deltan along, Regan remembered Trixie had said there was a creek that ran along the back of the property, near her family's farm. Regan wanted the trails and borders marked so that come the snowfalls, no one would get lost riding. They had already had a few mornings with frost and the days were definitely and quickly getting colder.

He soon found the river and followed it through the woods until it opened onto the prairie. He recognized the land and heard his name shouted.

Shielding his eyes from the sun, he recognized Jim on Jupiter, and Win on a thoroughbred. He waved, and nudged Deltan towards them, keeping a firm hand on the reins.

“Morning, Regan!” Win called.

“Morning! You boys out for a pleasure ride?” Regan asked as they came near.

“Just a bit of a patrol, noting property borders before winter sets in,” Jim replied.

Regan smiled. “Me too. I was-”

A terrified scream interrupted him and he immediately ordered Deltan forward. The white gelding took off in the direction of the scream, with Jim and Win close behind him.

Within a minute he saw the brown horse tearing across the plains. A young woman with long blond hair was riding it, though it looked more to Regan like she was just trying to hang on.

Deltan’s powerful legs caught up to the smaller horse within moments, and Regan could see the girl was terrified, and had absolutely no control over the runaway.

"Hang on!" Regan shouted as he came up along side the other horse. Leaning over, Regan grabbed the reins with his free hand, urging both horses to slow down. Deltan obeyed, nudging up against the runaway to indicate he was in charge.

The runaway horse began to slow, and Regan could see the horse was overheated, and foam flecked the corners of its mouth. Gently he brought both horses to a stop, Deltan repeatedly bumping the other horse, whose eyes were wild.

Jim and Win had caught up, and Jim flanked the rider on the other side. The wild horse continued to slow down alongside them, and the girl was holding on tight. Her messy blonde braid was coming undone, obscuring her face, and her hat was hanging on her back.

"Whoa, there, boy," Regan said soothingly, bringing the horse to a stop. He dismounted from Deltan as Jim did so from Jupiter.

“Ma’am, are you all right?” Regan asked, reaching for up her. She released the horse and slid weakly into his arms. Regan caught her safely and she turned her head to him.

In ten years, the only thing that had changed were a few wrinkles around the ocean colored eyes. But Regan would never forget them if he lived to be a thousand years old.

“Bill?” she whispered.

Regan opened his mouth to speak but couldn’t, and she went limp in his embrace.

“You know her?” Jim asked, as he held the reins on her horse and spoke soothingly to it. Win held the reins of both Jupiter and Deltan, who eyed each other warily.

“I did,” Regan said, staring at the unconscious girl in his arms. What the Hell was she doing out here?

“Get her under a tree, before the wind kicks up again,” Win ordered. “Jim, take that horse to creek and get it to cool down.”

Regan carried her under a large tree and set her on the grass gently as Jim coaxed the frightened animal to go with him. Win quickly tied the reins of the other horses, his own following him in a docile manner. Removing the blanket he kept rolled on the back of his saddle, he wrapped it around the unconscious girl.

Win watched Regan with interest. The redhead’s freckles stood out starkly against his pale skin, and he looked shaken.

“Something you want to tell me, son?” Win asked gently.

Regan shook his head. “No. I just…well, I’m not sure.”

Win nodded.

Regan just stared at her when he saw the thin gold ring on her left hand. Of course, he thought. Of course she’d be married by now and probably had children. Her father would have seen to that.

“I’ll get some water from the creek,” Regan said abruptly, standing.

Win sat with the girl, whose eyes suddenly opened and she sat up.

"Sorry!" she gasped. "Sorry, so sorry. The blasted animal took off—"

“Calm down,” Win said mildly. “You’re okay, and so is the horse. My son is tending to him.”

She nodded. “Thank you, very much. I’m not a very experienced rider and something spooked her. And-I’d swear you look so familiar…it must be the red hair.”

Win chuckled. “There’s a few of us running around here.” Best not to mention Bill, maybe. She’d see him soon enough, he thought.

Regan returned then, carrying a canteen. He knelt on her other side and she turned her head to look at him. About to pour the cold water over her wrists, he paused, looking up at her.

For a brief moment as time stood still, Regan stared into the eyes he had once known so well. Eyes that had belonged to the girl he loved, the girl he had tried to replace a couple of times, and never managed to.

“Ayla?” he murmured.

“Bill,” she whispered. “Bill Regan.”

She threw her arms around him, almost knocking him over.

Win raised one eyebrow.

Slowly, Regan hugged her awkwardly.

“What are you doing here?” she demanded, pulling away. “How did you get out West? Where have you been?”

Regan just shook his head. “What are you doing out here?”

“My husband, he brought us out west. He’s a farmer now. Father…he worked for Father,” she said, her eyes hardening.

Win glanced between the pair and realized there a lot of history being revisited mentally.

Regan looked up at Win and felt his face grew hot.

“We knew each other a long time ago,” he said simply.

Win just nodded. “Ma’am, are you feeling better?” he asked gently.

“Ayla, please. Ayla Malley. And yes, I think so.”

Win pulled the blanket around, despite her heavy coat. Regan’s eyes had never left her face.

“Bill, is he related to you?” Ayla asked. “Did you find a relative? The nephew?”

“No,” Regan smiled. “And yes. No, he’s not related. This is Winthrop Frayne, a family friend, and yes, I did find my nephew.”

“I’m so glad,” she smiled at him and Win knew there was much, much more here than he thought. And he also knew she was married.

Win hoped his young friend wasn’t about to cause himself another great heartache.

They sat quietly for several minutes, and finally Jim returned, leading her horse who appeared much calmer. Regan made the introductions and Ayla said she felt strong enough to stand.

The Frayne men were surprised by her height, she was close to six feet, and she thanked them again profusely for their assistance.

“That damned animal sometimes gets a mind of its own and takes off,” she sighed. “Usually I can stop her but today, no such luck.”

Win and Jim were amused by her swearing, but Regan could only stare at her.

“I do hope you and your family will join us for supper one evening,” Win invited her.

Her blue eyes darted to Regan and she suddenly looked uncomfortable.

“Thank you, Mr. Frayne. I’ll be sure to extend the invitation, to my husband.”

Jim’s green eyes narrowed. Her demeanor shifted at the mention of her family. Obviously this woman was of some importance to Regan, the groom had barely said a word. Win was doing most of the talking. A lost love, perhaps from his circus years? Definitely information of interest for Dan. Jim then remembered Dan had said something about a girl. Could this be her? Was that even possible?

With her horse soothed, Ayla mounted and was on her way moments later, steadfastly refusing an escort by the men.

“Well, she’s an interesting little thing,” Win comment. “Lovely girl.”

Regan just nodded. She was here. Here, of all place. And more untouchable than ever.

***

Hallie stomped out of the store, her mood as dark as her navy blue dress with the white stripes. The white ribbons securing her hair fluttered in the breeze as she pulled her navy shawl around her. It was getting colder and winter would be here soon. She had a coat, but she was loathe to bring it out. That would indicate she was here for the winter, something she didn’t want to admit.

Uncle Peter barely spoke to her, he was still furious with her for the Regan debacle and Mart's frame up. She had let Bobby take the blame this summer when Mart's knife went missing and he was in jail. She had let everyone blame Bobby for the knife leaving the house when it was her. Aunt Helen was barely polite, as was Mart. Bobby was relatively indifferent, generally they got along.

But Trixie was another story. Trixie and all of her friends were so mad at her, that none of them spoke to her.

Technically, it wasn’t her fault. Nothing had happened between her and Regan, though she had been tempted to kiss him that day. She hadn’t forced Julianna to leave. That had been the blonde’s choice. Julianna could have confronted her, but she didn’t. That wasn’t the way things were done, apparently. She just packed up and left.

Now, when she went by the stables to see Regan, he barely acknowledged her. Hallie genuinely missed his company. The quiet groom had no expectations of her and she could relax and be herself around him. But not now. Madeleine Wheeler had made it very clear her friend’s cousin was not welcome there. She didn’t dare go visit Dan at the Frayne’s. Jim was always polite, but nothing more.

She had no friends, Hallie knew that. No one liked her. Except Ben Riker. And she had been on close supervision the last week or so. No chance to go into town and see him. Until today. Aunt Helen had needed a few things from town, but she was knee deep in canning and Trixie was working hard in the orchard with the boys to bring in the remainder of the fall apple crops. Helen had reluctantly agreed to let Hallie go to town for her.

She deliberately took the longer route. It put her close to the saloon but also the hotel.

Luck was on her side; Ben was leaving the hotel, studying his gold pocket watch. Snapping it shut, he glanced around and smiled slowly as she approached.

“Miss Belden,” he tipped her hat to her. “Seems like such a long time since I’ve been gifted with your loveliness.”

Hallie blushed. “You must have been hiding from me,” she batted her eyelashes at him, wondering about the body under the suit. Long and lean, she was thinking with a smile.

Au contraire, I’ve been waiting for you,” he smiled.

Hallie felt her heart flutter. “For?”

“I was hoping to pay you a call, out on your homestead.”

Hallie heart skipped a beat. “I would very much enjoy that but uh…”

“I have the feeling I would not be received pleasantly?” he asked, his blue eyes intent on her.

Headiness crashed over her. How she’d love to have him show up at her door! “Yes,” she said unhappily. “My guardian—that is, my uncle, has expressed some…reluctance at my keeping company with you.”

Ben nodded. “I see. My reputation precedes me then.”

“I do so apologize, Mr. Riker, nothing would please me more than for you to pay me a visit.”

“No apologies needed, my lovely girl,” he smiled slowly at her. “I suppose we’ll be resigned to the imaginary dances of our imagination?”

Another unhappy nod.

“Then I shall cause you no further trouble.” Ben took her gloved hand and raised it to her lips. “I shall content myself with the fantasies of what we could have been to each other, and the dream of flesh sought—”

He was grabbed by the shoulder and spun around. Brian Belden’s fist connected with his jaw, sending the elegantly dressed man sprawling backwards to the ground.

“You do not speak to my cousin in such a manner!” Brian snapped, his dark eyes furious. “She is not one of your New York harlots that you can spout such trash to!”

Hallie covered her mouth with her hand, horrified at the blood that leaked from Ben’s lip. She knelt to help him up but he waved her off.

“The good doctor is correct, Miss Belden,” he said calmly, wiping the blood away. “I was out of line with my words and sincerely apologize. Good day, Miss Belden, Dr. Belden.”

Ben strode away, calm on the outside but shaking with anger. The men and women who had witnessed the exchange stared at him, some of the women dropping their glances as he passed.

The young doctor was going to be a definite thorn in his side, Ben thought. And he lived in town, which meant Belden could check up on his activities. The Beldens were a prominent, upstanding, founding family, and that carried weight in a small town like this.

Brian turned to her cousin, furious. “You were expressly forbidden contact with that man!” he hissed. “I don’t know what you said to encourage him, but no gentleman talks that way to a lady.”

“Brian, please don’t tell Uncle Peter!” Hallie said. “He’ll send me off to a convent in Texas, and I’d go crazy there!”

“I’m taking you home,” Brian snapped. “I’ll think about it on the way.”

***

Brian didn’t tell his father about the conversation, but he gave Hallie a warning. Since he lived in town, over Doc Ferris’ practice, he saw a lot of what went on, and he wouldn’t cover for her twice.

Hallie knew she was going to have to be smarter than her cousin, if she wanted to see Ben.

***

Ben Riker smiled as he laid his cards down and swept up the winnings of the poker game. The other three men grumbled and glared at him.

“Now gents, don’t you worry. Next round is on me,” Ben tossed a few coins on the table as he rose. He didn’t need a bullet in the back, and he doubted any of the Deputy Marshals or Sheriff would come to his aid.

He ordered another shot of whiskey from the bar when the dark haired prostitute smiled at him. Nowhere near as pretty as Hallie Belden, he thought, but she’d do for tonight. The Belden girl was going to take some work. But not for her lack of interest. Ben suspected she had a lot of interest. It was her family that was going to be in the way. There were many ways to corrupt though.

***

Mail in hand, Trixie turned from the post and started back towards Susie. She paused when she heard a familiar laugh.

Looking to the side, she saw Jim, her former beau, with a very tall, very pretty young blonde. Not the plain sandy blonde of her own curls, but a deep, rich gold that Trixie envied at once.

Trixie swallowed. She didn’t regret choosing Dan over Jim but seeing Jim with another pretty lady stung a bit. She had never seen a girl so tall, and wondered how old she was. Dan hadn’t mentioned any other cousins coming to town.

Suddenly not in the cheerful mood of a few minutes before, Trixie swung up on Susie’s back, in a hurry to be gone.

“Trixie!”

She winced, but turned in her saddle. Jim was approaching with the blonde girl on his arm.

“Hello, Jim!” she forced the cheer to her voice.

“How are you?” he asked, smiling up at her.

“Good, just came for the mail.”

“Trixie, I’d like to introduce to you to a new neighbor. This is Ayla Malley, her family bought the old Hart place, near yours. Trixie and her family live on Crabapple Farm,” Jim explained. “And she’s betrothed to my brother.”

Ayla smiled at the petite blonde and extended one hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Trixie.”

Trixie leaned over and shook her hand, noting the firm grip. “Pleasure is mine. We’ll have to have you over for supper soon.”

Ayla laughed. “Sooner than you think. Your mother was by yesterday and invited us for supper after church Sunday.”

Trixie forced a smile. “That’s wonderful. I look forward to seeing you soon. Please excuse me, I need to get back to the farm, and I promised Dan I’d be by.”

“He’ll be happy to see you, I think he’s tired of Mother fussing over him.”

Trixie nodded. “I’m sure. Have a good afternoon.” She made a clicking noise to Susie and they left quickly.

Ayla turned to Jim. “She looked quite sad. Is she all right?”

Jim nodded. He didn’t want to talk about Trixie just then. “She’s just worried about my brother.”

***

Dan smiled when she appeared in his doorway.

“Just who I wanted to see,” he held out his hand to her. She took it and sat on the edge of the bed. He had finally regained his color, but was still stuck primarily in bed for another few weeks, until Brian told him otherwise.

“I missed you,” she murmured, kissing him gently. His hand slipped behind her neck, leading her into a deeper kiss that left them both breathless, and stopped only because his bedroom door was open. Despite their engagement, proprieties needed to be observed.

“I missed you too,” he touched her cheek. “Mother is driving me crazy.”

Trixie laughed. “She’s just worried. It’s what mothers do.”

“I know,” he caught her hand and kissed the palm. “I’m ready to get out of this bed and get back to work, let me tell you.”

“You’re still going to have to take it easy,” she reminded him, reaching behind him to fluff his pillows. “No hard riding or chasing people.”

“I know, Nurse Belden,” he teased, taking advantage to slip his arms around her and kiss her again.

“Stop, before your mother comes in,” she giggled.

Dan just grinned. “Let her. She knows how crazy I am about you. Did Father show you the latest house plans?”

Trixie shook her head. “He was out at the stable when I arrived.”

“He’s decided to expand the house a bit. He’s determined we’ll be providing a herd of grandchildren.”

Trixie laughed uneasily. She had always planned on having several children. But it seemed like too soon.

“Don’t worry,” he assured her. “I don’t expect you to become a meek little housewife.”

“Good,” she breathed.

He laughed, running his finger down the side of her face. “Definitely not.”

***

Madeleine was out riding when she heard the music.

“Whoa, Lady,” she brought her mare to a stop and listened. She was out near the back of the property, despite Regan’s and her father’s protests that she not ride alone.

The sweet notes were sad, she decided, lonely. Nudging Lady forward, she followed the music until it became louder. It wasn’t from the woods at all, she realized, but the property beyond it.

At the edge of the trail, leading out, she paused Lady. There was a young man sitting in a clearing, playing the flute. His back was to her and he didn’t seem to notice her, but the old black and brown hound did, his head popping up as he watched her and Lady curiously. He gave a single bark, and the man playing, stopped, turning around quickly.

“Please don’t stop,” she called out. “I heard the music and thought it lovely.”

He got to his feet, and she noted he was tall and rangy, with dark, almost black hair and a loose fitting dark shirt, not tucked into his dark breeches. Boots sat nearby, as did a hat and coat. He looked about twenty, she guessed, with an olive toned skin. Exotic came to mind as she studied him. He was graceful too, she noted. She wondered if he was part Indian.

“What’s a fancy girl like you doing out here alone?” he demanded.

“I might be alone but I am armed, so if you mean me harm, I advise you otherwise,” she kept her voice firm, the way Regan had coached her, and her hand slipped to where the small derringer was concealed.

He laughed. “Mean you harm? You’ve read too many tales of the west, my lady. I am no savage or brigand.”

Madeleine found herself smiling at him. “What are you doing out here? I don’t think I’ve seen you in town before.”

“We’ve only recently arrived. I’m Alexander Jasper Malley. Friends call me Jasper.”

“Madeleine Wheeler.”

“Pleasure to meet you, Miss Wheeler. Fine looking mare you have.”

“Thank you,” she said proudly. “My cousin is our groom and he’s one of the finest. He picked this one out for me a few years ago.”

“She’s a good choice. She looks fast.”

“She is,” Honey said cautiously. Was he going to attack her after all? The hound came near and sniffed at the bigger animal. Lady snorted at it and the dog sat, wagging its stump of tail. The force behind it shook his entire body.

“Don’t mind Rufus there, he’s pretty friendly.”

Madeleine wasn’t so sure about that, she thought the dog looked quite fierce, despite the tongue lolling out of his mouth as he sat below her.

“Care to join me?” he asked, gesturing to where he had been sitting.

Common sense said no, but Madeleine was tired of playing things safe.

“Will you play some more?” she asked shyly.

He grinned. “Sure.”

She dismounted and led Lady forward.

To her surprise he picked up what appeared to be a rough hewn flute.

“Did you make that?” she asked. He nodded and held it out for her. Taking it from him, her delicate fingers ran over it. “Please don’t be offended, I’m just surprised it produced such lovely music.”

“I haven’t had time to make it pretty, I just started it this morning.”

Madeleine handed it back. “You play beautifully.”

“Thank you,” he smiled. “I’m always happy to play for a lovely lady.”

Madeleine felt herself blush at Jasper’s attentions. Deep inside, something stirred at the young man’s smile.







Author Notes

- a huge yee-haa! to Julie (Macjest), my ever patient and helpful editor for this universe! All mistakes are mine.

-Word count 3,704

Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © Random House books. Fenton Hardy is copyright © Simon and Schuster. Real life characters such as Alan Pinkerton belong to history. All references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission. All non-Trixie Belden characters belong to AmazonWitch,Inc.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.