Chapter Five


Bobby Belden was standing with his mother at the bank when the three men burst in with guns drawn.

"Everyone on the floor!" one of the men shouted.

Someone screamed, but Helen obeyed, pulling Bobby down quickly. Bobby's blue eyes studied the ebony tipped handle of the gun. It was a beauty, he thought enviously. Edged in silver. Someday he hoped to have enough money to buy a fancy gun like that.

"Hand over the money and no one gets hurts." The same man, with a blue bandanna covering his mean little eyes was watching the room as one partner grabbed the money from the terrified banker. The third, taller than the other two stood guard at the door.

A minute later they were gone, racing out of town on horseback.

Helen pressed her hand against her heart.

"Ma, you all right?" Bobby looked up at her.

"Yes, Bobby. Stay here while I talk to Ms. Bean."

Terry and Larry Lynch burst into the bank, followed by Jed Tomlin and Doc Ferris, who had been nearby outside.

"Was that what we thought it was?" Terry demanded, ignoring the panicking adults around them.

"An honest to goodness bank robbery!" Bobby's blue eyes shone as he began to tell his friends about the event.

***

"I'm telling you-" Trixie's words cut off as there a scream came from the bank.

Minutes later, three men burst through the door and ran for their horses. Trixie grabbed Madeleine and pulled her out of sight around the corner as the three robbers, faces covered with bandannas, mounted their horses and took off. Trixie turned to her friend.

"Go for the Sheriff or the Deputies. Tell him it looks like they're headed out towards our place."

"And where are you going?" Madeleine demanded. She saw Terry and Larry Lynch running for the bank, followed by two men.

"After them. Dan isn't here and the Sheriff is too old to be chasing them down."

Madeleine grabbed Trixie by the arm. "Trixie Belden you can not go chasing after a gang of robbers! I'm certain they have guns!"

"I won't be seen. I know this land like the back of my hand," Trixie grinned at Madeleine. "I can follow them to their hideout and get back here before the Sheriff can mount a posse. This is the kind of thing I've been waiting for!"

Tearing from Madeleine's grip and ignoring her friend’s protests, Trixie dashed to the nearest horse tied at a post and untied it. Swinging up on the skittish animal, she urged the horse in the direction the gang had gone as the few people began to come out from the bank.

Madeleine ran for the sheriff's office.

***

Trixie hung back far enough that she could keep an eye on the gang. Why they were headed out this way, she wasn’t sure. There was nothing out here but some scattered trees, a small meadow, and some hills. They were near the back line of her property, which bordered some open prairie. She had to make sure they didn't go towards the house! This land was as familiar to her as her own hand. She, Mart and Brian had played out here as kids. There was an outcropping of rocks, which they hadn’t used in years, she remembered suddenly. That must be where they were going to hide out!

Bobby, Larry and Terry probably used it, she thought, her heart sinking, though she doubted any of the boys would be allowed out of doors until the gang was caught. She was certain Bobby had been in town with her mother. If they swung a half mile to the right, they'd be on the Lynch's land.

Luckily the sun was going down, and Trixie knew she could use the shadows to help her hide. Dismounting, she tied the horse loosely to a tree, and crept in on foot, wishing she had breeches on instead of the long skirt.

Quietly as she could, she crept up on the outcropping. They were smart enough to not light a fire, but she could hear the quiet voices.

"Johnny, stay on guard. Billy, help me count," a gruff voice said. Trixie climbed up the largest rock so she could look down over them. Their bandannas were down but she couldn't see well enough in the dark to recognize their faces. The voice she definitely didn't recognize.

The two men below were counting money. Trixie could make out their bedrolls. This was definitely their camp. Crawling backwards, her foot slipped and she slid down the rock. Feeling her body trip a wire of some sort, tin cans suddenly jangled in the night and she groaned. v"Someone's out there!” The man named Billy leapt to his feet. Trixie tried to get up but her foot caught in the wire and sent her sprawling. A pair of dirty boots in appeared in front of her.

"We got us a snooper, Luke!" Billy called.

Trixie’s heart sunk as she looked into the beady eyes. Dan was not going to be happy with her.

“Well, well,” the man referred to as Luke stared at her. “I’ve seen you around town. Heard a lot about you. You’re the one the Marshal courts.”

Trixie swallowed hard but didn’t answer.

“I do my homework," he smiled, his yellowed and decayed teeth causing Trixie to flinch. "Your name, it’s Belding or something?”

“Belden,” she murmured.

“Speak up girl,” Luke snarled, leaning in. “What’s your name?”

“Trixie Belden,” she said defiantly. He nodded slowly.

“That’s right. Snooper girl. Always getting yourself into some sort of trouble.”

Trixie just stared at him, wondering what he was going to do.

“Tie her up, Johnny.”

***

"Johnny, can't you loosen these just a bit?" she pleaded. "Look how they're cutting me."

The soft eyes stayed on her as she tried to talk to him.

"I can't Miss Trixie," he said softly. "I ain't even s'pposed to talk to you."

"Johnny, you're a good man." she whispered. "Don't let them turn you into a thief and a kidnapper. Look, I know the lawmen. You let me go, you go back with me, and I can get you a lighter sentence."

"You know lawmen?" Suddenly he looked frightened.

"Yes and they're good men like you. Take me back, and I'll talk to them, make a deal for you," she said desperately.

"I-I can't. Luke's my brother. I can't abandon family."

Trixie's eyes welled with tears. "Johnny, I have a family that your brother is keeping me from, including a little brother that I really want to see grow up. Please, help me get out of here and I'll get them to be lenient on you."

Without a word Johnny rose and walked away. Trixie slumped against the tree at her back as two tears trickled down her cheeks.

***

Billy slipped up towards the crowd that had gathered in the town center. The saloon was full of drunks, and he knew the information he needed lay with the women gossips and young boys. He recognized the young blond boy from the bank, and casually walked towards him and his several friends, listening to their conversation. People were clustered about near the jail, there were whispers and hand gestures going on everywhere.

"Dan's gonna be mad as all get out. With him and Jim both courtin' Trix, I think they're both hoping to win her. Though I have yet to figure out why two men are interested in her," Bobby said, leaning against the wall. He seemed less than concerned that his sister had gone after the bank robbers. And he wasn’t surprised.

"I heard Mr. Frayne is putting up the ransom money since they ‘xpect to get a ransom note," Terry said. Bobby nodded.

"Yep."

Billy stepped up to them.

"Say boys," Billy said casually, "I'm new around here, and noticed the crowd. What’s going on?"

"Some bank robbers kidnapped my sister!" Bobby said excitedly. "The search parties are everywhere but they won't us go," he scowled.

"Yeah, they said we're too young," another boy, his twin brother next to him added with a pout.

"Well you boys got to stay here and protect the women," Billy said with a smile, playing the boys up. "You know they need a man around."

"That's true," Bobby brightened.

"You boys stay out of trouble, now you hear? By the way, can you point me towards the saloon?"

Billy moved onto the next group of gossipers casually, hiding his smile, as he listened carefully and made his way towards the saloon. So the girl they had was courted by two men, including Mangan. Perfect. Luke could easily ask for more money.

Bobby, Terry and Larry had just wandered towards their homes when Bobby frowned.

"You know, there was something not right about that guy," he said thoughtfully.

"Who?" Terry asked absently.

"That guy that asked about the saloon. Since when do strangers care about what's happening in a town?"

"I couldn't take my eyes off his gun," Larry said. "Did you see the handle? Black with silver? It was beautiful!"

Bobby froze and turned to his friend.

"What'd you say?"

"That man’s gun. It was beautiful."

Bobby went pale. "C'mon! We have to catch him!"

"Catch him?" Terry asked. "Bobby, what's gotten into you?"

"The robbery," Bobby cried. "I was there. One of the men had a black handled gun edged in silver. That man was one of the robbers!"

"He's headed out of town, look!" Terry pointed. Bobby's bright blue eyes scanned the town. At the far end of town they could see the figure of the man riding out.

"Larry-go for the Sheriff. Terry, you follow me but stay back. Once we find them, you head back and get Larry and the posse."

"Isn't that how Trixie got herself into trouble?" Larry asked.

"Yeah well it's going to be us that gets her out! Go!" Bobby shoved Larry gently as he spied a number of horses tied outside the saloon.

"He's Trixie's brother all right," Larry grumbled as he set off at a run.

***

"We've searched the entire plains," Jim clutched his crisp red hair. His father placed one hand on his shoulder.

"We'll find her son," Win said confidently.

Mart Belden paced the jailhouse while his father, Peter Belden and Matthew Wheeler studied the map of the territory.

"This has to be the worst idea she's ever had," he muttered as he paced. "Of all the off the wall, crazy things that goes through that girls head-"

"Mart, be quiet," Peter said sharply.

The blond young man fell silent.

"I wish Dan was here," Jim muttered as Sheriff Molinson glared at him. "This is the kind of thing he thrives on."

The door flew open and Larry Lynch came busting through.

"Sheriff! Jim! Bobby went after them!"

The room hit an instant uproar as Peter's Belden's fury quickly turned to fear. Mart was shocked silent.

"Bobby recognized one of the men in town, a guy hanging around and asking questions. He recognized his gun and he and Terry went after them!"

"Am I the last of your children to inherit any sense?" Mart demanded of his father.

"Where'd they go?" Peter grabbed Larry by the arms.

"Towards Crabapple Farm."

"We must have overlooked the hideout," Jim said grimly. "Gather the posse."

"Hold on there, son," Win said. "We can't go busting in or he'll kill her for sure. We need a plan."

***

The unfamiliar horse didn't want to cooperate and he was spirited, giving Bobby a hard time in handling him. The boy’s chubby hands fought for control and finally the horse obeyed. Bobby hated being small because Mart was always teasing him about it, usually until Ma or Trixie reminded him he had been even shorter at Bobby's age, finally shooting up at fourteen.

He hoped Terry was still behind him. His heart raced with excitement as he thought about the hero's welcome they'd get once they rescued Trixie. That pretty Barnes girl would definitely pay him more attention now!

Holding the horse back a bit, he recognized the land. They were hiding out in the old rock outcropping that he, Terry and Larry used! Knowing he should turn back and go for the Sheriff, Bobby hesitated a minute, and brought the horse to a walk, dropping back into the trees until Terry caught up to him. Bobby tied the horse.

"They're in our place!" Bobby whispered. "Go get the Sheriff! I'll watch out for Trixie."

"Bobby, come with me!" Terry urged. "You're going to be in a heap of trouble with your Pa!"

"Not once we rescue her," he grinned. "Now hurry up and get going!"

Once Terry was gone, Bobby started through the woods, taking a back route to the outcropping. Unknown to him, the path had been set with a trap, and he stumbled over a trip wire. Picking himself up and dusting his leg off, he heard the soft click of a gun and looked up to find the tallest man of the three standing over him, gun drawn. Bobby groaned.






***
Author's Notes
- a huge yeee-haaa! to my editor, Julie! All mistakes are mine.
- word count, 2,193

Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © Random House books. Fenton Hardy is copyright © Simon and Schuster. Real life characters such as Alan Pinkerton belong to history. All references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission. All non-Trixie Belden characters belong to AmazonWitch,Inc.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.