Chapter Two

Trixie squinted into the sun as the woman descended from the stagecoach.

"Look," she nudged Madeleine, "that woman dresses like you. Wonder what she's doing out here?"

Madeleine frowned slightly, shading her eyes with one elegant hand. "I’m not sure. Something is familiar about her."

"Do you know all the rich people in New York?" Trixie asked thoughtlessly. Madeleine burst out laughing.

"Gracious no. Daddy might though."

"Well, let's get closer!" Trixie linked her arm through her friend's slender arm and they started walking towards the stagecoach. The coach driver was unloading numerous matching satchels.

"Wonder if she's moving here?" Trixie asked.

Madeleine giggled.

"Doubtful. That is only enough luggage for an extended stay."

Trixie just shook her head at the extravagance.

"Miss, someone comin' for you?" the driver asked.

"Oh yes. Someone should be here any moment," she spoke in a soft, accented voice befitting her tiny frame. Long, pale blonde hair was curled and laying gently over her shoulders, hidden underneath the navy blue bonnet with white feathers. Her traveling dress was a matching navy blue as well, with ivory lace at the cuffs and collar. A parasol was hooked over her arm and Trixie noticed the pretty beaded gloves she wore. This woman was definitely from a wealthy background, she thought, like Madeleine.

"Listen to the accent!" Trixie whispered. "Where do you think she's from?"

"Europe. Maybe Germany or near there," Madeleine whispered back as they approached.

"Miss Maasden?"

The girls stopped as they recognized Ward, Jim Frayne's new foreman.

"Yes?" she asked politely.

"Mr. Frayne sent me. Said to give you this, and apologize for not coming himself, he's a bit tied up at the moment."

The tiny woman slid the envelope open and scanned it, smiling as she did so. As she read, Trixie took in the tiny features and blue eyes, fair skin. Jim hadn't mentioned anything about a visitor to her!

"Lovely." She smiled at Ward. "I fear I have quite a bit of luggage."

"No problem ma'am. Our wagon is over here. You just get comfortable and I'll take care of the bags."

He helped the petite woman up to the seat and proceeded to load her bags.

"We should say hello." Madeleine whispered. Trixie's eyes grew wide. "He is your beau after all!"

"What if he ordered a mail order bride?" Trixie gasped.

Madeleine’s hazel eyes widened as well, then she shook her head. "Do not be silly. Jim is much too honorable to do such a thing! At least, not without calling off the courtship publicly and I know he never would."

"Maybe-"

"Enough maybes." Madeleine interrupted. "Let's go talk to her."

But Ward was finished loading the bags and joining her in the wagon. Trixie stared after the departing wagon thoughtfully. Why hadn't Jim mentioned he had company coming?

"He must like short blondes," she muttered to herself, wishing she was half as pretty as the well dressed young lady.

"What was that?" Madeleine asked.

"Nothing," Trixie sighed. “Let’s ride out to the estate.”

***

Trixie and Madeleine rode towards the Frayne’s enormous ranch estate, Ten Acres, making sure to stay a good distance behind the wagon.

"Trixie, I am sure there is nothing to worry about," Madeleine said as they rode.

"Oh, I'm not worried," Trixie lied.

Madeleine laughed. "What a fibber you are! I can practically see you pacing in your head."

Trixie smiled ruefully. "Well, you know, it is a bit mysterious."

Madeleine shuddered at the word. "Don't you go looking for another mystery," she warned. "My heart hasn't recovered from the last one!"

"Somehow I doubt she's a cattle rustler," Trixie grinned, ignoring her friend's comment.

They were approaching the Frayne estate within minutes. Over the top of the welcoming gate arch was a scrolling JWF, for James Winthrop Frayne, Sr., who owned the massive estate and a huge herd of cattle. The white prairie roses along the front fence were dying out in the heat of the Oklahoma late summer.

Trixie felt her heart sink as they saw Jim hugging the tiny blonde and swinging her around.

"There's a perfectly good explanation," Madeleine said confidently, nudging Lady forward.

Trixie hung back just slightly on Susie as she watched Jim kiss the girl's cheek. The sound of the riders reached Jim and he glanced up. The expression on his face made Trixie turn Susie around and take off.

"Trix!" she heard Jim and Madeleine calling her but she let Susie run free, urging her on. Tears blinded her eyes as the wind hit them.

Madeleine pulled her horse up to Jim and his visitor.

"She's my cousin!" Jim said quickly, his green eyes worried.

Madeleine nodded and set off after Trixie.

Trixie didn't feel the tears as she rode. Jim's expression had gone from utter delight to pure . . . horror? She wasn't sure. All she knew was he very, very happy to see this tiny woman, and not so happy to see her approaching.

Susie finally had enough of running and slowed, and it was only a moment before Lady and Madeleine caught up.

"Don't say anything," Trixie burst out, now aware of hot tears on her cheeks. "I guess he really did order a mail order bride!"

"Stop being foolish," Madeleine snapped. "It's his cousin. That's all he managed to get out, and I expect he’s coming after us right now, so stop being such a ninny!"

"His cousin?" Trixie repeated, her mind reeling. She reached up and wiped her face, suddenly feeling silly. “Cousin?”

"Yes. I didn't quite get the full story, I was too busy chasing after you, you goose!"

"Lands," Trixie said weakly, wiping her eyes. "I did it again.”

They could hear a rider approaching and Jim came into view, tearing towards them on Jupiter.

"You two work this out. I'm going to go meet his cousin and try to salvage her opinion of Westerners," Madeleine gave Jim a wave and headed back towards his estate.

Jim brought the big gelding to stop next to Trixie.

"Whatever you're thinking, it's not." he snapped, his green eyes blazing. "If you had bothered coming up to the house, I would have told you she's my cousin and she arrived a week early!"

"I'm sorry," she said in a tiny voice.

"You just jump-what was that?" he stopped his tirade before he got wound up.

"I was wrong to jump to conclusions," she admitted. "It’s a bad habit."

Jim snapped his jaw shut. This was a rare occurrence. "I was going to tell you this weekend. My parents are coming also, next week. Julianna arrived early."

"Your parents? Why? When-"

"Later," he interrupted. "When Julianna found out who you were, she told me to hurry after you."

"Oh no," she moaned. "Now you're being rude to your guests because of me!"

Jim gave her his crooked smile, reached over and took her hand, pressing it to his lips. "Julianna is very understanding. Come back with me?"

Trixie nodded.

***

Julianna, she discovered, was a lovely young lady. Jim's cousin through his mother's side, she had come from Holland to invest in some land in New York. When the Fraynes announced they were heading to the Oklahoma territory to visit their son, they had invited her to go along. Win was curious about the recent oil developments in the territory, and Katje wanted to see her sons. Julianna, being anxious to see as much of the country as possible, had set out on her own to go West, agreeing to meet the Fraynes there in a week. The train ride had been lovely as the train chugged its way across the land, towns in all stages of progress, cattle ranchers driving their herds, the scenery changing from lush forests to open plains.

They sat talking for quite a while, during which Jim sat next to Trixie. Propriety kept him from reaching for her hand, but every so often he’d glance at her, to find her sneaking a look at him. She rearranged her skirt, smoothing it out, and her pinkie brushed his, causing a blush of red to sweep over her face, and a tiny smile played at his lips.

Trixie and Madeleine eventually headed for their homes, with promises to have Juliana over for tea soon.

Jim had promised to bring Julianna to Madeleine’s estate the next day, where Madeleine would have her groom and cousin Regan give her riding instructions. Jim didn’t have anyone available or suitable to teach a young lady to ride on his estate, but he enjoyed Regan’s company. The horse lover would be an excellent teacher.

***

Trixie took the mail from Ms. Tisdale, the post lady, with a smile.

"Oh, and this came for you specially, dear," Ms. Tisdale handed her an envelope with her name. “I think you’ll want to open it quickly.”

Di and Madeleine crowded around her.

"It's from Dan!" Trixie squealed. He had been gone for over a week, and she missed him terribly.

"Hurry up and read it!" Diana encouraged. Trixie studied the neat printing on the worn envelope. Tearing it open she was disappointed to find it was short, like his last one.

"What's it say?" Di demanded.

"Just that he misses me and it's taking longer than he expected." Trixie sighed. "And to stay out of trouble.”

Her friends giggled. "He does know you well," Madeleine laughed.

"Trix, there’s something on the other side!" Di pointed out.

"What?" Trixie flipped the letter over and read the few lines. "It's a poem of some sort."

"Let me see," Madeline took a good look and a smile spread across her lips as she handed it to Diana. "I believe it is by Herbert Trench."

She comes not when Noon is on the roses--
Too bright is Day.
She comes not to the Soul till it reposes
From work and play.

But when Night is on the hills, and the great Voices

Roll in from Sea,

By starlight and candle-light and dreamlight

She comes to me.

"How romantic. I bet Mart would know who wrote it if you’re unsure, Madeleine," Di sighed happily.

"I'm not about to ask my brother about a poem given to me by one of my beaus," Trixie shook her head. "I don't get it. I've never really liked poetry."

"It's not about the poetry, Trix." Diana rolled her eyes. "He's telling you he loves you."

"What? Where?" Trixie grabbed the letter back.

"By using the poem!" Madeleine laughed. "He probably knew we would see it, or heaven forbid, Bobby find it. This way, it is more covert, thus more romantic.”

"Oh." Trixie said, blushing to her sandy roots.

Laughing, her friends linked arms with her and they began the walk home, singing loudly.

***

Madeleine smiled to herself as Regan managed to collect himself. The petite blonde known as Julianna had appeared and the normally feisty redhead was suddenly silent. Julianna knew little about riding and Jim didn’t have time to teach her, so Madeleine handed her over to Regan, hiding her smile. Regan was a brooder, and for a tall man he could be gentle, but she noticed he was extra careful with her new friend, who looked positively diminutive next to her broad shouldered, strong cousin.

Regan was all too eager to teach her to ride, and easily lifted her up onto Lady, Madeleine’s horse.

***

Madeleine unwrapped the large package that had arrived.

“Regan, who did you say delivered it?” she asked.

Her cousin shrugged. “Just some boy from town. Probably about Bobby Belden’s age.”

Regan adored Bobby Belden and the Lynch twins. The three were constantly visiting him, often helping with the horses care and providing hours of entertainment.

Regan had been outside exercising Starlight when a young boy rode up carrying the package addressed to Madeleine.

Regan took the discarded paper as they realized it was a large portrait, secured into a hand carved wooden frame.

“Madeleine, it’s you!” Regan murmured.

“Amazing,” she whispered. The drawing was more than a considerable likeness, and the cousins stared at the canvas. Even the details of the dress she had been wearing the day she encountered Nicholas Roberts was there, and the fall of her hair.

“He even got your eyes right,” Regan smiled. “This is some talent. Who do you think it is?”

“Trixie and Diana said a young man by the name of Nicholas Roberts is an artist and drew portraits. I met him the other day in the store.”

“You must have left quite an impression,” Regan grinned at her, laughing when she blushed.

“I almost ran him down,” she admitted.

“I bet Matt would love to have that,” Regan said. “If not, I think there’s a certain doctor at school who certainly would.”

Madeline flushed red again. “Regan, I don’t know that it’s proper of me to accept this.”

“You and Brian aren’t betrothed,” he pointed out. “You two barely knew each other when he left, and he made it clear it would be a while before he would be available to court you properly.”

“I know but . . .” she stared at the portrait longingly. Her father would love it.

“If you don’t feel right about it, I’ll take it over there and return it with your utmost regret,” he offered.

Madeleine smiled. “I will send him a thank you note instead. Shall I invite him to tea?”

Regan rubbed his bright red hair. “I don’t know that they have afternoon tea around these parts Madeleine. This ain’t New York.”

“True. Hmm. Maybe I should ask Trixie?”

Regan snorted. “Ask Diana. She’s more likely to know.”

****

Trixie tossed the feed to the chickens, wondering where Dan was. He had been gone almost two weeks, and while she hated to admit it, she really did miss him, especially the way his eyes lingered on her and his arms felt when he was holding her close. Not to mention the searing kisses that left her insides shaking and hot. September was just a couple of days away, and she would also be receiving the news of whether she passed her teacher’s examination.

Realizing she was out of feed, Trixie shook her head and turned to leave the coop, finding Mart leaning one hand on the post.

"Need something?" she asked.

"I'm inquisitive as to your silence this week with the nonattendance of Mr. Mangan," he answered with a grin.

"Dan? I hardly noticed he's gone," she answered, hanging the pail.

"Uh huh." Mart grabbed his sister by the arm. "I saw that dreamy look just now. I expect both of them are behaving properly. They may be my friends, but you're still my sister."

Trixie went scarlet as she understood his implication. Jerking her arm free she suddenly smiled sweetly. "They are both perfect gentlemen, as I'm sure you are with Di."

Mart's jaw dropped open as Trixie gave a toss of her curls and walked away, congratulating herself on silencing her brother. But of course he made her thoughts turn to both men. Both made her weak in the knees with their kiss, and their looks. Dan was more impulsive and assertive, sometimes randomly grabbing her by the waist to pull her close for a kiss. Jim was more prone to a softening look in his eyes before he kissed her, often accompanied by a gentle touch to her face or tugging on the infernal curl that never behaved.

As usual, Trixie pushed the thoughts of them aside. Trying to choose made her feel sick to her stomach. She cared about them both and was in no rush to pick one. Sure the town was scandalized but she didn’t care! Nosy old Mr. Lytell was always watching her when she went into town, his beady eyes squinting at her. He probably thought her some sort of hussy for allowing both men to court her. But Trixie just couldn’t make up her mind.

***

Madeleine dismounted from Lady. An expert at riding, she had long ago mastered the graceful dismount without her skirts bunching. Trixie had promised to teach her to ride western soon. Her father wouldn’t like it and her mother would be horrified but Madeleine didn’t care.

A tall, thin man came out of the small house, looking puzzled as he stared at the pretty young lady wearing a gorgeous green and white dress that he expected cost more than his entire crop would bring.

“Miss, can I help you?”

“Hello,” she smiled. “I’m looking for Nicholas Roberts.”

“Well, that’s my name too, but I expect you’re looking for my son. He’s out on the back forty. He probably won’t be back until later.” Mr. Roberts privately was wondering what a rich young lady like this wanted with his son.

“That’s all right,” she smiled again. “If you can just point me in the direction, I’ll be happy to ride out there.”

After he told her which way to go, Madeleine thanked him, and headed out that way.

Sure enough, she saw him, repairing a fence. When he heard the horse he looked up, startled, and pushed his hat back from his face.

Madeline felt herself grow red in the face. He was shirtless and sweaty, but his torso was lean and tanned, his arms wiry. His dark hair clung to his neck.

“Hello,” he stammered. The beautiful girl wore an emerald green riding habit, trimmed in white, with a matching flat hat settled over her honey colored hair that was swept back and up. What a picture she made, he thought, trying to memorize the details of the way the hat framed her hair and face and the pretty smile.

“Hello,” she smiled, trying to look brave. Trixie wouldn’t be rattled by this, she thought. She had two older brothers, surely she was used to seeing them without shirts. She pushed a guilty thought of Brian out of her mind.

Nicholas just stood smiling at her.

“I wanted to thank you for the lovely portrait,” she said. Nicholas nodded shyly.

“You’re welcome. I don’t have much time to draw anymore but you inspired me.”

Madeleine blushed. “That’s very sweet of you to say.”

Nicholas shrugged. “It’s true.”

“It’s an absolutely lovely portrait. My cousin was very impressed.”

“You didn’t have to ride all the way out here to tell me that,” he smiled.

Madeline dismounted. “I wanted the ride. Besides, I thought it would be more personal to invite you to tea in person, rather than by messenger.”

“Invite me to tea?” he echoed.

“Tomorrow afternoon. If you’re free that is. I would not want to interrupt your work.”

Nicholas stared at the pretty girl. Easily one of the two richest women in the territory, beautiful, sweet Madeline Wheeler, was inviting him to tea.

“No, I’m not busy. I’d be honored,” he hoped his voice wasn’t as shaky as his insides.

Madeleine beamed. “Lovely. Say three o’clock?”

“Of course. I’ll be there,” he smiled.

There was a moment of awkward silence and Madeline moved to remount Lady.

“Till tomorrow then,” she gave him a small wave and he lifted his hand in response, watching as she rode away.

Nick’s hazel eyes watched her ride away.



***
Author's Notes
- a huge yeee-haaa! to my editor, Julie! All mistakes are mine.
- word count, 3,209

Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © Random House books. Fenton Hardy is copyright © Simon and Schuster. Real life characters such as Alan Pinkerton belong to history. All references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission. All non-Trixie Belden characters belong to AmazonWitch,Inc.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.