Oklahoma Territory, late July 1882

US Marshal Daniel Mangan looked over the selection of delicate glass boxes as Frank Lytell watched him. He didn’t know yet when Trixie’s birthday was, but he wanted to get her something, just because. Nothing too feminine, he thought, but something pretty.

"If it's for that harum scarum Belden girl, I suggest you get her something that won't break," Lytell griped. “That girl is the clumsiest thing I know!”

Dan gave the older man a steely glare that made Lytell step backward. "I think I'll get something while I'm in Claremore tomorrow. Thanks." Dan’s tone was icy.

Lytell started to protest but Dan turned and headed for the door as a tall, redheaded man walked in.

"Excuse me," Dan said quickly, stepping around the tall, husky man. It was Wheeler's groom, he knew, Robert or Reynold or something. And something about him made Dan uncomfortable. Maybe the groom liked men. That thought made Dan move away even faster.

"No problem fella," Regan answered, watching the younger man go. What is it about the Marshal that gives me such a bad feeling? he wondered. The young man unnerved him, and not much unnerved Bill Regan.

No problem fella, echoed in Dan's head as he walked to Spartan. His birth parents had always called him 'fella'. Pushing the thought of them out of his head, he swung up into the saddle and headed towards his brother's estate. He had promised his brother Jim he'd have supper with him tonight, and stay the night so the brothers could go to Claremore the following day. With his two Deputy Marshals, plus the Sheriff, Dan felt he could leave the growing town for a day.

Inside the store, Regan watched the young man leave.

"What can I do for you Regan?" Lytell asked, surprised to see the groom. He didn't venture into town often, unless Wheeler sent him.

"Matt wanted me to see if you could order something," Regan turned to look at Lytell, temporarily pushing the Marshal out of his thoughts.

***

The muggy Oklahoma heat bore down on Trixie Belden as she raced Susie across the open prairie. Wind ripped through her curly blonde hair as Susie raced over the well known land. Bent low over her horse, Trixie didn't hold Susie back.

Eventually Susie began to slow, pacing herself down until she had reached a gentle walk. This was a routine she knew well, they had run this field for years. The creek came into view over the hill and Susie headed for it happily. Trixie slid from her back as Susie dipped her head to drink.

Glancing around, Trixie ducked behind some of the large bushes that overshadowed the running brook. Stripping her hot dress and petticoat off, Trixie slipped into the cool water for a dip, leaving only the thin undergarment on. Sliding under the water, she stayed down for a minute, a brief respite from the August heat. September would bring cooling winds near the end of the month, and after an unusually hot summer, Trixie welcomed it.

Her friends, Madeleine and Diana would be horrified if they knew where Trixie was, and what she was doing. But Trixie considered them proper ladies, even though Di had been poor as a church mouse until recently. She had a natural elegance like the wealthy Madeleine that was just inherent. With her father’s recently gained wealth, Di now dressed to match her grace and beauty.

Coming up out of the water, she froze when she heard a soft male voice speaking to Susie.

"I know she's here, pretty girl, come on and tell me. I’ll bring you a bit of sugar next time," the familiar voice coaxed. Trixie groaned.

Trixie poked her head around the corner of a bush and realized to her horror, it was Dan Mangan, US Marshal and one of her two beaus.

"I know you're here Trixie," he called. "I saw you tearing across the plains."

Trixie's mouth fell open. Surely he hadn't seen her get undressed! She had been behind the bushes! Turning towards the hidden bank she gulped when she realized her clothes were gone.

"Daniel Mangan you bring my clothes back!" she shouted. His warm laugh sent a shiver down her spine.

"I knew you'd come up for air eventually. Come here so I can talk to you without having a tree in the way.”

"I will not!" she squealed.

"I can't see through the water," he laughed. "Your virtue will remain as intact as ever."

Now he was really teasing. Trixie made sure she stayed under the water up to her chin and maneuvered around the hedge, poking her head so she could see him clearly and he could see her.

"What do you want?" she demanded.

"I saw you out on the plains, thought you were in trouble. By the time I got over here, I figured you had to be underwater."

"Yes, well, I can't get out while you have my clothes," she said crossly, pushing her wet curls from her forehead.

"Sure you can." She could see his sexy smile and it infuriated her.

"Well, I won't," she said tersely.

Dan grinned and set her clothes on the edge of the bank. "Well come out and sit with me a bit. I'll even be a gentleman and turn my back."

"Be a gentleman, my foot," she grumbled. Dan laughed. "You take those clothes back around the hedge, and then you go wait with Susie!"

"I’ll turn my back,” he smiled.

She glared at him until he did so, when it became apparent he was not going to leave. Scrambling out of the water, Trixie snatched her blouse and struggled into her clothes while still wet. Trixie grumbled about him interrupting her swim as she hastily buttoned up her blouse. The newer styles had buttons in the front, for which she was grateful. It was bad enough she had to wear stupid long skirts. Buttoning up the blouses in back just caused her more grief.

She was managing the skirt when she felt his eyes on her and looked up. He was staring at her with an expression she couldn’t name.

“You shouldn’t be looking at me,” she whispered. How wicked she was to enjoy him looking at her! She knew she should feel ashamed for it, but she didn’t.

Without a word he walked the few feet that separated them and drew her into his arms and a searing kiss. Trixie knew she should resist but she didn’t, pressing her damp self up against him. When she felt his hands slide up her back from her waist and around the front, she gasped, pulling away.

Dan paled slightly in the hot sun.

“My apologies,” he stammered. “That was completely inappropriate.”

“I should slap you,” she murmured.

“You should,” he agreed, his dark twinkling at her. Instead she stepped back towards him, and pulled him to her this time. His arms encircled her as he lifted her petite frame up to him. Their kiss deepened until Dan knew he had to stop things before he compromised her virtue and reputation. His body was responding in the most natural way and he knew that she knew nothing of such things.

He set her back down, forcing himself to pull back.

“You’re nothing but trouble, woman,” he muttered, sneaking one last kiss from her swollen lips.

“Look who’s talking,” she whispered shakily, hoping her legs would hold when he released her.

“All women are trouble,” he grinned, knowing it would infuriate her.

It did and her face flushed red as she stepped away. Her blouse clung to her in a couple of wet places he knew it shouldn’t, and her cheeks were flushed from irritation, which just made her even prettier. He loved the sulky expression she wore, half scowling, half pleased. He didn’t mention her blouse was buttoned incorrectly.

“How dare you! You follow me out here, steal my clothes-”

"Quit your squawking and come give me another kiss," he said quietly. "I have to go away for a few days."

"I will not! I refuse to give you a kiss after you-wait-go away? Where? Why? How long?" she demanded.

Smiling, he took her hand and drew her to him. "I’ve got to track an outlaw, down on the Texas border. I'll be gone a few days, hopefully not more."

"Oh." Trixie couldn't hide her disappointment. As one of three US Marshals in the territory, Dan was often called upon to track down outlaws on the borders, or even in other states. She hated the thought of not seeing him for several days.

"And no you can't come along. That really would scandalize the town," his lips twitched, "but it'd be a good way to make you mine."

Trixie smacked his shoulder for his impudence. "Who're you after?"

"Think I'll tell you so you can sneak out tonight and try to follow me? Not on your life," his lips brushed her forehead. Dan was all too aware of her fondness for mysteries, outlaws, and trouble.

"Please?" Trixie tried to look mournful but Dan just laughed and hugged her tightly, his hand playing with her curly hair, which he knew was going to dry wild, just the way he liked it.

"Not on your life. Then I'd have my brother and your brothers all chasing me down. Besides, it shouldn't take more than a few days."

"Hmmph," Trixie answered. Tilting her face up to his, he brushed his lips against hers. Trixie felt the heat slide from his lips down through her stomach to her feet as he held her close, their tongues touching gently, one hand on her back, the other buried in blonde curls.

"I wouldn't go if I didn't have to, you know that," he murmured when they finally separated.

Trixie leaned her blonde head against his broad chest, nodding.

"Doesn't mean I have to like it."

Dan kissed the top of her head. "I know. And I hate it. But it's part of the life.”

“I know,” Trixie looked up at him, her blue eyes troubled. “Be careful, Dan. Promise me.”

“I promise. I don’t intend to go getting shot again,” he grinned down at her as he planted one more kiss on her lips. “Don’t let Frayne steal your heart away from me while I’m gone.”

“Like I could stop your brother,” Trixie smirked.

Dan’s dark eyes narrowed just slightly. “Yeah, well, he better watch his hands,” he grumbled.

Trixie just laughed, not mentioning where his hands had been headed moments ago. Dan and Jim were as devoted as any pair of brothers, Dan having been adopted by the Frayne’s when he was nine. Their competition for her affection was friendly, to her relief. The last thing she wanted was to be a source of contention between the brothers.

“Kiss me once more before I go.”

“You’re leaving now?” she asked in dismay.

“Yes, I only came out here to find you and tell you. I didn’t want to leave a message with your mother.”

Trixie stood on her toes to kiss the tall man and he caught her by the waist, twirling her around as he kept his lips firmly on hers.

“What are you doing?” she laughed.

“Making you dizzy so you’ll only think of me,” he declared.

“Stop before you make me sick!” she giggled.

Dan stopped twirling her and looked down at her, his dark eyes gentle.

“Promise me you’ll stay out of trouble while I’m gone, Trixie,” he said quietly.

“I’ll try. I don’t look for it!” she protested.

“Then you better rebutton your blouse or you’ll really have trouble when you get home,” he grinned.

Trixie glanced down, gasped at the bit of bosom on display and in a fit of temper, shoved him hard. Laughing, Dan fell into the water.

“You!” she growled, swinging up onto Susie.

By the time Dan dragged his soaking wet self from the water, she was gone, riding home.

Grinning, he walked to his horse, Spartan. “She’ll miss me,” he said confidently, than a wistful look crossed his handsome face. “I’m going to miss the hell out of her, old boy.”

***

Trixie’s temper had cooled by the time she reached home and she was aghast to recognize Jupiter, Jim’s horse as she remembered the state of her hair. Jim Frayne, the wealthy cattle owner who had recently moved to Oklahoma to join his aging uncle, James Winthrop Frayne, Sr. And her second beau.

How Trixie had gone from never being noticed by a boy to having two suitors was a mystery she hadn’t been able to solve.

Her hair would be frizzy and wild, she knew, from her race across the land while it was wet. There was no way to sneak in and try to tame it, especially since Jim was outside, talking with her oldest brother Brian. And of course, she had no hat or anything to tie it down with.

Jim and Brian glanced up as she approached, and she saw them both frown slightly. Thankfully she had rebuttoned her blouse, but she knew her hair must look frightful, especially since Jim seemed to be trying not to laugh.

“Hello Jim, Brian,” she reigned Susie in.

“Trix-” Brian stopped and just smiled. “Never mind.”

“I’m going to put Susie up,” she muttered, nudging the horse towards the barn.

Feeling the heat of embarrassment, she found a piece of leather in the barn and tried to tie her hair down. It wasn’t going to work, she sighed. She’d just have to go out there and face the boys looking wild.

***

Trixie’s blue eyes stared out the window of the school house and it wasn’t till Diana cleared her throat softly she came back to the present. Remembering she was supposed to be taking her teacher’s examination, she glanced up guiltily to see Mr. Stratton’s eyes on her. Focusing on the paper, she tried to forget about Dan’s searing kiss the day before. Jim was having supper with them that night.

Jim Frayne. Dan Mangan. The pair of brothers who were competing for her attention. Her. Beatrix “Trixie” Belden, had two suitors. Plain, sturdy little Trixie, whose two friends were stunningly beautiful. And both Jim and Dan wanted her.

With a smile playing on her lips she flew through the rest of her test.

“No need to guess where your mind was,” Di Lynch teased as they left the building that afternoon.

Trixie blushed. Di was engaged to her older brother Mart, while her oldest brother Brian, who had recently left for his final year of medical school, was more than smitten with Madeleine.

While Di eagerly looked forward to teaching, Trixie half hoped she’d failed her exam. With only one school in town, and with several girls wanting to teach, it would mean boarding in another town, home only on weekends if the town was close enough. And Trixie didn’t want to be confined to a schoolroom. She liked working on the farm and riding in the sun. Boarding elsewhere to teach would take her away from both Jim and Dan.

Jane Morgan flounced past them, her long blond curls in place as usual. The snotty girl had been in school with them since grade school, but she looked down on Trixie, a farmer’s daughter. Di, who had been incredibly poor until only a recently, when oil was found on her land, hadn’t taken kindly to Jane’s sudden friendly attempts and ignored her, sticking with her lifelong pal, Trixie. Di’s shiny blue black hair and violet eyes made a stunning combination, but her poverty status had kept her from being courted by any other than Mart Belden. Now that she had constant offers, she politely turned them down, in love with the young man who had always been there for her.

“I hope that math did not stump you too badly, Beatrix,” Jane said coolly as she swept by in her plum colored velvet dress. “I know how you struggle with numbers.”

“Good thing the test didn’t have a personality section,” Trixie answered, “since you haven’t one, you would surely fail.”

Jane’s mouth fell open as Trixie and Di walked away.

“I can’t stand that girl!” Trixie muttered.

Di giggled. “Too bad Madeleine wasn’t here to see that!”

While she had the best grades in their class, Madeleine had no desire to teach, and with her father’s wealth, didn’t need to. She admitted she had no idea what she wanted to do. Society girls weren’t encouraged to have ambitions. Trixie knew her friend swooned over Trixie’s eldest brother Brian, who would be leaving this week to finish his medical school. With her honey colored hair, big hazel eyes and sweet disposition, it was impossible for anyone to dislike her.

Di didn’t have to teach since her father had become so wealthy, but she wanted to. She enjoyed younger children and being near them. Her own siblings included two sets of younger twins.

The two girls walked along the dusty, well ridden path that led towards their farms. Today however, they were going through the Wheeler preserve to meet Madeleine for a picnic.

Sure enough, Madeleine was perched on a blanket, surrounded by food she was unloading from a large basket. Lady, her dappled mare, stood nearby, grazing.

“Well?” Madeleine asked anxiously.

“The math was simply horrid,” Trixie shuddered and dropped to the blanket in a very unladylike manner. Di was more graceful as she took her seat.

“She’s right about that,” Di agreed, “but I think otherwise it wasn’t too awful.”

“If I don’t pass it,” Trixie said thoughtfully, laying down, her blue eyes on the trees that reached up to the sky, “I wouldn’t complain.”

“Yes you would because you’d be stuck at home with Mart and you two might kill each other,” Di replied.

Trixie smiled as Madeline giggled.

“Besides, if you were stuck at the farm all day you might actually have to make up your mind between Jim and Dan,” Madeleine pointed out. The dreamy smile left Trixie’s face and she sat up.

“True,” she admitted.

“When are you going to make a decision?” Madeleine asked. “Men don’t want to wait forever.”

“I know,” Trixie sighed. “I just can’t decide!”

Di rolled her eyes.

“It’s simple for you,” Trixie pointed out. “You’ve always been for Mart. And Madeleine is taken with Brian-but with him gone for almost the next year, what are you going to do?” Trixie asked, wanting the topic off of her.

Madeleine looked startled, then blushed.

“He’s taking me for a buggy ride tonight. I think he’s going to ask me to wait for him,” her hazel eyes were shining.

“Wait almost a year? Madeleine, he only comes home for a week or so at Christmas!” Trixie said.

“I know,” Madeleine’s elegant fingers fiddled with the edge of the blanket they sat on. “Mother wants me to go East with her for the Season but I have no desire to. I would rather stay here, with you two.”

“And we’d rather you did too!” Trixie leaned over and squeezed her friend’s hand.

“I did notice Nicholas Roberts watching you in church on Sunday,” Di said slyly, her violet eyes twinkling.

Madeleine blushed. “I have spoken with him once. He is very quiet.”

“Always was,” Trixie answered, forgetting she was chewing a piece of fried chicken so her words came out as mumbling.

“But he’s very polite, and very talented. He used to make the most lovely drawings!” Di added.

Madeleine just smiled at her friends. She enjoyed spending time with Brian, and the way his soft dark eyes looked at her made her feel very hot and flustered. When they had danced together, he kept the appropriate distance, but his hands were stable and firm, and his gentle smile warmed her heart. And she was very glad she didn’t have to choose between two men.

“Have you heard anything from Dan?” Di asked.

“I got a letter from him yesterday,” Trixie answered, avoiding her friends’ gazes. “He doesn’t know how long he’s going to be gone. They should be somewhere in south Texas by now. “

As Di and Madeleine chattered on, Trixie’s thoughts went once again to her beaus. How could anyone be expected choose between them?






***
Author's Notes
- a huge yeee-haaa! to my editor, Julie! All mistakes are mine.
- word count, 3,399

Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © Random House books. Fenton Hardy is copyright © Simon and Schuster. Real life characters such as Alan Pinkerton belong to history. All references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission. All non-Trixie Belden characters belong to AmazonWitch,Inc.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.