Chapter Nine




Brian had wandered outside while the group animatedly discussed their findings with Miss Trask. He had treated Nola for her wound, now it was cleaned and stitched secure, while she was bundled into a warm sweatshirt.

The sun was beginning to creep up, its golden fingers stretching out over the darkened shyline. It had been a long night, having to wind their way out via the small cave entrance Mixen had found, which they suspected was the pirates’ “back door exit”. There were no traps and it brought them out onto the beach, not too far from where they started. The climb back up the cliffside had been exhausting. Nola had stopped several times from the pain in her arm, and Dan and Mixen hung back to help her. The bleeding had stopped but Brian was anxious to examine it in the light and stitch it up.

Now, warm and dry with a cup of coffee in his hands, Brian’s mind was reeling over Mixen. So much for the eccentric, rambling woman he was attracted to. This tall, assertive woman who had taken charge with her redheaded sister was someone else entirely. And incredibly sexy.

“Brian?” a soft voice interrupted.

He turned, knowing he’d find her standing behind him. She wore her usual green jacket now, jeans and a t-shirt. Her damp hair was pulled back and she had skipped the glasses. He had plenty of time to study her beautiful bone structure in the cave, he glanced away now, trying not to remember the pale green eyes and how they looked at him.

“Your sister is inside,” he said coolly.

“I know, I’m looking for you,” she walked up to him and together they stared out over the water. “I need to apologize.”

“You were doing your job,” he answered. He felt her gentle touch on his arm.

“I never meant to hurt you. I was playing a role, and I had to stay in it. I liked you from the first time we met, but I couldn’t let on to you that I wasn’t a crazy number freak with a rap sheet.”

“Is that all true?” he asked.

“It is of Erica Sentel, which is an identity I use when necessary.”

“What’s your real name?” he asked.

“Dominique Gaston. But everyone really does call me Mixen. Nola is my half sister.”

“You do this often?” he asked, still not looking at her. “Pretend to be other people, sneak around looking for treasure?”

“Not usually,” she answered. “I’m a museum curator most of the time with the Smithsonian, based in DC. Nola recruited me for this project when she realized it was going to be big. Maria telling that food critic about the treasure threw a kink in our plans. We hadn’t planned to move for a couple more months, we wanted to send in a team of explorers quietly. Then word got out and Nola was told that her friend Marge only had a couple weeks to raise the tax money, so she called me. We figured we could pull this off if there were two of us, working from different angles. We got the go-ahead fro out superiors and here we were. Nola had to really bully Uncle Gaston into retiring. I expect he’ll want his job back.”

“I see,” he answered. The first woman to pique his interest in a few years and she was a liar, a pretender and a part time-treasure hunter.

“Brian, it wasn’t personal,” her earnest eyes were locked on him. “I wanted to get closer to you, but I couldn’t, without you catching on. I’m sorry. I really thought there might have been something between us.” Her hand rested on his arm more firmly this time.

“Maybe,” he answered.

She stepped in front of him and he realized how tall she was. In her role, she slouched, hunched her shoulders a bit, making her seem smaller. “Brian, I’m sorry. I didn’t count on you entering the picture.”

“Obviously.” He looked out past her, into the night and towards the cliffs.

“Brian…” she reached for him and her hand touched his chest. Stepping up to him, she placed her hands on his cheeks and pulled him into a long kiss. Brian couldn’t resist and drew her closer, holding her tightly.

Finally, she pulled away, gasping for air. Her fingers traced his lips and then she pulled free of his embrace all together and hurried inside.

Brian watched her go, breathless, and thinking of the soft lips that had just left him shaken.

***

Nola and Mixen assured Miss Trask that she would easily receive an advance for the collection that would cover the tax bill. They scrutinized surveyed maps they had of the area, and determined that where the ship was hidden was indeed part of the property.

“Worst case scenario, we get the money as a finder’s fee,” Nola said, “and I’ll turn it over to you.”

“That’s a lot of money, Nola,” Miss Trask protested.

Nola shrugged. “Not a big deal, Marge. We make a good living doing this, and the whole reason we stepped up the search was to help you.”

Dan watched her, still processing everything that had gone on. Nola and Mixen were sisters. They were treasure hunters. He realized he should have suspected something sooner. Nola had dropped hints. The gear in her room. The gun. Notes in French, which she must have spoken to have been trained in France. Led by the downstairs brain, he thought with disgust. But he was better off than his old friend, who still looked shell shocked from Mixen’s sudden appearance and role in the whole deal.

“So that’s why you were tormenting Nola with your requests,” Weasel mused. “You’re her sister.”

Mixen grinned. “I couldn’t help it. Old habits die hard. Plus it let her know I was in the dining room and as long as I was fussy, I wasn’t having any luck. She knew that if I were to send a compliment to the chef, that I was onto something.”

“Clever,” Trixie said in admiration.

Finally, the adrenaline wore off, hot chocolate and coffee cups were collected, and people began to trickle to their rooms. Nola had almost dozed off in the chair, her head on Dan’s shoulder. She woke as people started to go to bed and rose, rubbing her eyes and stretching.

“I think I’ll turn in,” she murmured to no one in particular.

“I’ll walk to your room,” Dan said. She nodded, too tired to argue.

At her door, she smiled at him. “Thank you,” she said softly. “For all your help.”

“It was my pleasure,” he gave her the easy smile he was known for, and when she stepped up to kiss him, he slid his arms around her.

They took their time, not worried about anyone walking up, as their lips enjoyed each other, tongues gently seeking. Finally she drew away, her eyes large and glazed.

“Stay with me tonight,” she murmured, running her hand over his shoulder.

“I was hoping you’d ask,” he answered with a smile, reaching for her doorknob.

***

Brian lay awake in his head, thoughts spinning, his lips still burning after the kiss Mixen had laid on him outside. It wasn’t fair, he thought. Finally, a woman who really interested him and tomorrow she’d be gone. Back to her real life, he thought bitterly. The quirky woman he had initially been attracted to had never existed.

The soft knock at his door jarred him out of his thoughts, and he tossed back the covers, getting up. Dan was staying with Nola tonight, Brian knew that.

Opening the door, he was stunned when Mixen pushed him back inside, hurried in, and shut the door behind her.

“Mixen, what are you doing here?” he managed.

“Because I’m tired of living by the books,” she said breathlessly. “I need to take more chances, and you’re one of them.”

“I’m a chance?” he repeated stupidly.

“A chance I need to take,” she answered, reaching for him.

Brian found himself pulling her into his embrace as she wrapped her arms around his neck, their lips coming together in a hot, seeking moment of passion.

***

“Daniel,” Nola sighed happily as they kissed tenderly.

“Hmm?” he asked as he nuzzled her neck.

“Thank you,” she kissed his shoulder.

He chuckled. “It wasn’t selfless babe, I’ve wanted you since that first night when you stormed out of the kitchen. Eyes blazing, covered in whatever it was, you looked incredibly hot.”

She laughed. “I must admit, you looked pretty sexy yourself. I was so humiliated to see this hot man standing there and I was covered in sauce.”

“It doesn’t taste as good as you,” he said, kissing her. She giggled.

“Cheesy pickup lines, Dan? You?”

“On occasion,” he grinned, shifting his weight as he withdrew so he lay at her side, his back to the wall. Their bodies pressed together, she ran her fingers through his hair.

“When are you guys leaving?” she asked.

“In the morning,” he answered, not wanting to think about it. “You know, White Plains isn’t that far a drive.”

She chuckled as she wrapped one long leg over him. “True.”

Dan hid his disappointment. She didn’t want to continue this once he left. It was just fun for her, just a fling. It shouldn’t bother him; God knew he had plenty of flings and one night stands.

Nola didn’t want to confess her uncle was complaining about retirement and wanting to come back. It would free her up to go elsewhere…be a chef somewhere else, open her open place, work with the Society more…maybe closer to Dan. Dan who would never settle down, she thought. She knew his type. Charming, charismatic, only wanting what they couldn’t have. Now that he had had her, he would be gone and that was that.

No, she thought moodily, White Plains wasn’t a viable option. This was a one time fling.

Dan drifted into sleep, his arm holding the soft, warm woman against him. They could have some real fun, he thought.

***

Brian and Mixen lay together silently for several minutes, before Brian rose to remove the condom. He sat back down on the edge of the bed and she sat up, brushing back her pink streaked hair before she rested her cheek against his back.

“Thank you,” she murmured.

Brian turned to her.

“I should thank you,” he answered, his finger tracing her jaw line, “but that seems tacky.” He bent his head to kiss her but she moved, and scooted to the edge of the bed to start gathering her clothes.

“I need to go,” she murmured. “It’s late.”

“Stay,” he said quietly.

Her big green eyes looked up to meet him but they didn’t hold the gaze.

“I can’t,” she murmured, pulling her clothes on quickly.

Brian’s heart fell. He had known it was just a one time fling but he desperately wanted to hold her tonight.

“I have to go,” she said again, pulling on her socks, then her slippers.

“Mixen?”

“I shouldn’t have come,” she whispered. “But I needed to. I needed you.”

“What?”

“I’m married,” she whispered. Brian’s jaw dropped as his face registered his shock. “I’m so sorry, Brian. It’s complicated and a long story, and I just, I needed you, I needed to be with you, I’m so sorry!”

He stared up at her as she fled his room, feeling the crushing weight come down on his heart.

***

The next morning, Dan woke up Nola up slowly. After a long shower together, she slipped out of his room, to pack. He had made sure to give her his contact information, and urged her to come visit him in White Plains. But she laughed him off and kissed him thoroughly before sending him on his way.

Trixie and Honey had chattered on for almost the whole drive before she realized her brother and friend were quiet. When her questions to them elicited only mumblings and grunts, she exchanged a glance with Honey. Something had their dark haired men brooding, and they both suspected a pair of sisters.

Trixie and Honey wondered just what has transpired on their vacation that the boys weren’t talking about.




BACK   HOME  







Captain Trask's Treasure Map      Additional Cast



Author’s Notes

-A huge thank you to Julie, my editor, who polished this baby up and gave me the title!
-Will we see the sisters again? I don't know yet. Hopefully but time will tell!
-Thank you all for sticking around share this Goonies-inspired adventure with me!
-Word Count, 2,058



Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © All non-Trixie Belden canon characters belong to AmazonWitch, Inc. Random House books. Images, references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.