Chapter Eight




“My god,” Nola whispered. Holding onto Dan for balance, she stared up at the magnificent pirate ship.

She heard the others coming in behind her, and their gasps.

“Hey, youuu guuuuuys!” Dan said softly.

The others snickered.

Eyes wide, Nola headed for the water.

“Hold up!” Dan reached out and grabbed her by the waist. “There could be fifty traps in that water between here and there.”

Nola paused, and looked up at Dan, blue eyes clouded. “You’re right. I can’t believe I almost went charging in there. It’s just—I mean, look at that! It’s a ship!”

Dan grinned. “C’mon, let’s find something to test that water with. I have a feeling there could be something ugly in that water.”

“If it’s a giant octopus I’ll scream louder than you’ve ever heard,” Honey answered.

“You know they cut that footage from the original theatrical release to the tv version?” Nola asked absently. “For years, no one believed me that scene existed. It’s on the dvd, along with the scene where Troy burns the map.”

“I noticed that!” Trixie exclaimed. “I didn’t even remember those scenes!”

“Most people don’t.”

Honey nodded. "I've had similar conversations. I remember; it gave me nightmares for weeks."

Dan, Brian and Nola located long pieces of driftwood while Trixie and Honey studied the water.

“There are probably some random fish in here but shouldn’t be anything poisonous,” Nola said. “I’m more concerned about bear style traps.”

“Well then, we’ll just have to test the water,” Dan smiled at her.

“I can probably swim it without touching the bottom,” Trixie said thoughtfully. “I’m the shortest.”

“No way,” Dan answered quickly.

“What happened to Matten?” she muttered.

“Remember we went through those spikes? He might have taken a longer route, and isn’t here yet. Or, he found a shorter route and he is,” Honey joined them. “And yet, I keep feeling like someone is watching us. He could be behind us.”

“I think you’re right about him being there already,” Trixie said in a low voice. “I think he may be hiding, waiting for us to make our way across.”

“Just act like you don’t notice,” Dan answered tersely, his eyes on Nola. She was facing the ship, but looking around. As if she was looking for someone, Dan thought. No, he wasn’t going to think that. He refused to believe Nola was in on the bigger plot with Matten.

“All right,” Brian said, “what’s the plan now?”

“We start—” Dan stopped as he stared at Nola. Trixie and Honey’s eyes widened as they realized she was stripping off her clothes.

Underneath the dark clothes she wore a wet suit. Dan couldn’t resist shining the light on her and his dark eyes roamed her full figure appreciatively as she tossed her pants to the side. She had untied the bandage Brian made and he stepped over to check her arm.

“It’s better,” he said reluctantly, retying the strip of cloth around her arm.

“Here,” she held out her hand and Dan silently passed the driftwood to her. “Brian, Dan, follow my lead. Sweep the end through the water, and don’t anyone go in until we know it’s clear. Oh wait, who all has guns?” she asked.

“The three of us,” Dan answered.

Nola was wrapping her gun on something shiny and removing a few items from her pack.

“Here, there are plastic bags in here somewhere. If we’re going swimming, you'll want your weapons in working order,” she said over her shoulder, shimmying down the bankside, her backpack secured over her shoulders. “Toss me the rope, will you?”

Instead, Dan slung it over his shoulder, not wanting her to bear all the weight.

“If we get to it, how are we going to get it out?” Brian asked as they made their way slowly across.

“Well, it got in here somehow, it’s got to come out somehow,” Nola answered.

“Hold up!” Brian called with a grimace. He raised his piece of driftwood and a there was appeared to be a bear or fox trap clamped on the end of it. It was rusty, but still sharp.

“And that’s why I didn’t let you go charging in,” Dan said softly, leaning forward towards Nola, his voice sending a shiver down her spine. She turned her head towards him and winked.

“Hey, it drops off here,” Brian called over his shoulder. He extended the wood out further. “Definite drop.”

He stepped down and vanished under water.

“Brian!” Dan started forward but Nola held up one hand. Brian resurfaced, grinning ruefully.

“I misjudged that. I think we’ll have to swim from here.”

The others felt the ground drop out and went underwater briefly, but then resurfaced, and began swimming towards the ship.

“How do we get up there?” Dan asked, once they reached it.

“Probably around the other side,” Nola answered, swimming away. The group followed her. Sure enough a rope ladder dangled over it.

The four treaded water while Nola tugged on the rope testing it.

“I doubt it’s going to hold,” Brian said dubiously.

“Seems pretty okay,” Nola answered. “You guys stay here; I’ll drop the newer rope once I’m at the top. No one follow, I don’t know how it will hold.”

Dan silently handed her the rope, which she slipped over her head and shoulder.

She began the climb, and the friends below exchanged a glance. Dan was glad the water was cold. If he had to climb out of it with his pants tented, Brian would never let him live it down. Instead, he enjoyed the view of Nola’s very well developed body ascending.

Nola gasped when she felt the rope suddenly drop slightly.

The boys down below were conversing and didn’t hear. Swallowing hard, Nola climbed another rung. And another.

She could see where the rope was frayed, right where it rested against the curve of the boat. With her breath coming heavily, she carefully went another rung.

“She’s slowed down,” Dan said suddenly. “Nola! What’s wrong?”

“Nothing!” she called back, not daring to look down behind her. Closing her eyes, she muttered a quick prayer and climbed another rung.

The rope gave and she uttered a short scream as she tumbled down to the water, the men shouting. Arms flailing, she felt the backpack hit the water, forcing her neck forward and then back, and then she was underwater, the rush of water being forced into her nose and mouth.

“Nola!” Dan shouted as she fell. He saw her head snap forward as she hit the water and went under. He and Brian both dived down. Dan reached her first, grabbing her by the pack and hauling her up.

“Is she all right?” Trixie swam over, following Honey.

“I got her,” Dan said grimly, as Nola choked and coughed. He maneuvered so he was in front of her, holding her up. She grabbed onto his shoulder as water streamed down her face and she coughed it out over his shoulder.

“You all right?” Brian finally asked as she stopped coughing.

Taking a deep breath, she nodded, wishing Dan's arms were around her in a different situation.

“Yeah. Thought I could make it,” she rasped. "Stupid of me. Amateurish."

Impulsively, Dan pulled her up against him, kissing her gently, and ignoring the smirks and eye rolls of his friends. Nola didn’t resist, eagerly letting her lips meet his.

“Be more careful,” he said softly, when they finally pulled apart.

She just nodded.

“Anyway to get that rope up there?” Brian asked, ignoring the embrace he had seen.

“Yep,” Nola turned away from Dan. “Look in my backpack, you’ll find what looks like a metal rod with a hook. We’ll attach the grappling hook to the rope.”

Dan found it and handed it to her.

“Slip that rope off, will you, please?” she asked.

He did so, glancing at Brian. Both were strong swimmers but they were starting to wear down. She tied the rope onto the hook, pressed a button and a hook popped out.

“Fancy that,” Dan said. She grinned.

It took five tries but Dan finally got the grappling hook up and over the edge of the boat. Nola was grumbling at herself for not trying it originally.

Testing it, he refused to let Nola go first, to her irritation. It was more difficult to climb a straight rope, but Dan was pleased to realize his workouts paid off and made it up to the ship with minimal trouble.

Nola admired Dan’s lean frame making its way up the rope, wondering if there’d be time later for some fun. There was no denying the pull to him now.

Dan finally reached the top and swung one long leg up and over, pulling himself up.

He stared at the scene before him. Skeletons. With their hats, faded and rotted clothes, pistols. Three were laying face down around the main level, one leaned against a rail.

Dan knelt next to one, studying the brown stain. Blood? Had they shot each other? His eyes spotted empty old bottles. A drunken party, shooting each other? How many had been left behind? Just these four?

“Holy crap,” he heard the soft voice behind. Turning, he realized Nola had climbed up after him. His eyes looked her over as she swung her leg over and hopped down, barefoot. Her braid was wet but her blue eyes were sparkling as she neared him.

“We found it,” she murmured. She turned to Dan, grinning widely and throwing her arms around him. “We found it!”

He couldn’t help but laugh, sliding his arms around her. Their lips met gently, then eagerly as he held her up against him.

“Hey, can you quit the tonsil hockey and help a brother out?” Brian called crossly, as he struggled his way up to climb over the ship’s edge.

They broke apart, chuckling and Dan hurried to help his friend. Trixie had begun her ascent after her brother.

“Lay off the pancakes, buddy,” Dan joked. Brian made a “hmpph!” sound, then looked around.

“Wow,” he managed. “Where are the goods?”

“Probably down below,” Nola said, shrugging off her pack. She produced rubber slippers, which she put over her feet so she wouldn’t be walking barefoot.

“Hey, Brian! A little help?” Trixie called.

He turned to help his sister scramble up over the edge and together they began to pull Honey up. The least athletic of the bunch, she didn’t have quite the arm strength of the others, and Trixie was grumbling about her arms being sore.

“Thanks,” Honey grunted as she reached the top and climbed over. Trixie glanced at Nola and did a double take, wondering why Nola’s eyes seemed to be searching the cave, as opposed to the ship. Trixie decided Nola too felt they were being watched.

Dan grinned.

“All right then,” Nola lifted her pack again. “Let’s see what we’ve got.”

***

It didn’t take long to find the trap door, and the detectives descended into the hold of the ship, testing stairs cautiously, and shining their lights around.

They found the crews quarters, small, single bunks, and then they split up.

Nola stepped into a room and gasped. Gold glittered everywhere. Just like in the movies, covering the table, chests sitting full, plates covered in it.

“My God,” she whispered. “Dan! Guys! I found it!”

She could hear fast moving footsteps as she walked into the room, her fingers barely touching the treasure as she gaped. She picked up a string of jewels that she wasn’t sure was a headpiece or necklace.

“That would look gorgeous on you,” Dan said from the doorway. She turned, smiling as she blushed.

“Look at all this. All this time, just sitting down here.”

“Pretty amazing,” he agreed, joining her at the table. She ran her hands through a pile of coins, dislodging jewels.

“Marge will never have to worry again about money,” she murmured. When Dan didn’t answer, she looked up to find him studying her. “What is it?”

His answer was to lower his lips to hers gently, slipping his arms around and pulling her to him. The sound of a throat clearing broke them apart, and Nola was embarrassed to see Brian and Honey in the doorway, smiling.

“Hate to interrupt,” Honey said gently.

Trixie’s eyes were bulging as she drifted to the table and picked up a ruby necklace.

Dan chuckled. “Look at all this loot. Miss Trask is set.” He took the jeweled piece from Nola and set it in her red hair, smiling at her.

“Yeah, well, too bad she won’t see it,” a voice snarled.

The five investigators turned, startled. Tom Matten stood in the doorway, holding a gun on them.

“I knew you would lead me to it,” he said menacingly.

Brian stepped in front of Honey protectively, and Dan turned slowly so his body was shielding Nola. Trixie was on the other side of the table, and had been gaping at the treasure. She swallowed as she stared at the man holding the gun.

“I knew there was an inside job,” he muttered. “You all were just too clean and nice. I figured if I sat back and let you all do the work, you’d lead me right to it. It didn’t take much to lure you in.”

“You knocked me out,” Dan said. “Then you dropped behind us.”

Matten smiled. “That’s right. I-” Something small hit his neck and embedded itself. Reaching up, his fingers touched the dart briefly before his eyes rolled up and he collapsed.

Behind him stood Erica Sentel, known as Mixen to Brian, a gun held in a very secure grip. Her glasses were gone, she wore a wet suit, and Brian got a look at the strong physique. He could see her clearly now, and realized with her determined expression she looked a lot like…

“It took you long enough!” Nola sighed in relief, relaxing against Dan. “I’ve been watching for you!”

Dan turned as stared at her in disbelief as Trixie’s jaw dropped. Nola had been in on it after all?

“Sorry, bit of a hang up, Sis.” Mixen shoved the gun into her shoulder holster.

“Sis?” Trixie demanded.

“Erica Sentel is your sister?” Honey squeaked.

“Yep, halves if you want to be technical. And call me Mixen.” Mixen grinned, flashing white, even teeth. “Sorry we had to pull the wool over your eyes, but we needed the cover. Who’d suspect a socially–inept mathematician who talks to herself and an ornery chef? Other than whoever was spying on her the other night.” Her eyes lingered on Dan.

“It was all a ruse?” Brian asked, suddenly feeling like he had been punched in the stomach.

“I am something of a math geek,” she admitted. “And I’m sorry about the other night. I needed a diversion so Nola could slip past without you seeing her. All I could think of was to kiss you.”

“Excuse me?” Honey asked, looking a bit miffed.

“I wanted to kiss you, but I figured you already thought I was nuts, so hey, go for it, right?” Mixen grinned at Brian.

Nola joined her sister and together, they handcuffed Matten’s hands. They shared the same strong, full figure, and well defined features but up close, didn’t resemble each other too much. Together they dragged the unconscious Matten to the side.

“They know who I am,” Nola told her sister. “I had to tell them.”

“It’s ok,” Mixen answered. “We found it, that’s the important part.”

Brian frowned. Were they treasure hunters or preservers?

Dan was thinking the same thing, he realized, watching his friend.

“The Society will flip when they realize we have it,” Mixen’s green eyes took in the treasure. “The Smithsonian will pay big bucks to get this on display.”

Dan relaxed visibly. They were on the right side after all.

“What happens now?” Honey asked.

“We let the Society know we found it. Matten could use a night in jail but if we call the local cops, they’ll have the press all over this and that will make this extremely difficult.”

“I say we leave old Matten here in his room, tied up and stripped down,” Nola said cheerfully. “Everyone knows Maria is into S&M and she’s always trying to lure single male guests to her room.”

Dan winced; grateful he had never given her a second glance. Brian chuckled, remembering the staggering Gentler leaving his room.

“It’ll be embarrassing for him, he’ll leave town, and if it embarrasses her, so be it,” Nola chuckled. “She might actually be mad she missed out.”

“Harmless, solves all the problems,” Mixen grinned at her sister. “Good idea.”

The BWGS just exchanged amused glances.

“Shouldn’t the police be notified?” Honey asked gingerly.

Mixen shrugged. “We don’t like involving them until we can get the Society out here. Otherwise, they’ll be all over it, destroy the relics, possibly steal some of the gold—really not a good idea.”

“I don’t know that I feel right about this,” Honey said quietly. “Matten is a criminal. He would have shot all of us.”

“Not if his gun has blanks,” Mixen replied cheerfully.

Nola laughed as her sister grinned.

Brian stared at the woman he hadn’t been able to stop thinking about. This was someone else entirely, he thought.

“You did?” Nola was asking.

“Yep. I got into his room this afternoon, while he was out. Unloaded his gun. I’ve been tailing him the whole way. I’m 99 percent sure he never checked his gun.”

Nola reached over and pulled it from his hand, popping the clip out.

“Nope, empty. Good work, Sis.”

Mixen grinned.

“Um, the police?” Honey reminded them.

“If we call in the cops, this place will be swarming with more people than you imagine, and fast,” Nola said calmly. “There will be no way to secure the site, or get enough security in here for Marge. We’ll call the Society as soon as we’re top side. They’ll be here by morning, then we can call the police.”

“But that would let Matten go,” Trixie pointed out.

“He’s harmless enough, really,” Mixen shrugged. “The most important thing here is to preserve this ship. If we call in those local goons, they will trash this site and possibly rob it blind. We’ve worked too long for that to happen.”

“He was going to shoot us!” Honey exclaimed. “He didn’t know and neither did we that his gun was empty!”

Mixen shook her head. “No, he wasn’t. Tom Matten is a two bit, hack treasure hunter. He used to be a part of the Society, South American branch, but he got greedy and tried to steal some artifacts, so they booted him out. His dossier was circulated to all of us last year. I wasn’t surprised to see him surface here. He’s not that bright, really and pretty inept in general on top of being a coward. I doubt he even loaded that gun in the first place. He's more likely to shoot his own foot than any of us.”

Dan glanced at Nola. “You knew who he was?”

Nola nodded. “I couldn’t tip my hand, but I tried to set you on the right path. I gave Willis enough information that I knew he’d spill his guts. Unfortunately, not the information I planted, or you would have clued in faster.”

“I still don’t get why you didn’t tell us,” Dan said stiffly.

Nola’s blue eyes were troubled as she looked at him. “We’re sworn to secrecy,” she said quietly. “It took us a long time to secure a foothold up here and keep the site safe. I only told you because I knew you’d suspect me when I found you unconscious. And I couldn’t take the risk of you guys calling the cops before we found the treasure. We had to keep this safe. Look, Honey, I promise you, as soon as we can get our people out here to secure this, we can call the cops. We can keep him subdued until the cops arrive, maybe in one of our rooms.”

Honey reluctantly agreed.

“Technically, isn’t this a crime scene?” Brian asked. “Couldn’t we be in trouble?”

“Bit of a gray area,” Dan answered. “No real crime took place here. Sure, he pulled a gun on us, but Mixen subdued him. So I don’t think it qualifies as a crime scene, hence, no real need for the cops at all, except to deal with Matten. And if you want to get nitpicky, his only crime was threatening us. He didn’t steal anything, he didn’t break into anything and no one got hurt.”

“Look,” Mixen stepped forward. “We can sit here and debate the finer points all night. But even with Matten out of the way, and the ship safe, we still have one problem.”

“What’s that?” Trixie asked.

“How to get out,” Brian said, looking around.



BACK   HOME   NEXT   NEXT - RED STAR  







Captain Trask's Treasure Map      Additional Cast



Author’s Notes -A huge thank you to Julie, my editor, who polished this baby up and gave me the title!
-The conversation between Nola and the others about the Goonies dvd is correct. For years I swore those scenes existed and no one believed me. But they are on the dvd, from the theatrical release! -Word Count, 3,581


Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © All non-Trixie Belden canon characters belong to AmazonWitch, Inc. Random House books. Images, references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.