Chapter Two



By the time they left the Duke house, Trixie was sure she’d never sleep, being so excited.

“I can’t believe they’re here and practically in our backyard!” she almost sang.

Dan laughed.

“Me neither. How great is it!”

“Perfectly perfect!” the girls shouted together.

Dan laughed again.

Trixie fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow, and when her alarm went off early she ignored it until Honey tossed a pillow at her.

“C’mon,” she grumbled, dressing after her shower and putting her hair in a ponytail.

“Oh Honey,” Trixie sat up with a dreamy smile, “I had the most wonderful dream!”

“It wasn’t a dream, Trix,” Honey grinned.

“They’re here? The Dukes are really here?” Trixie demanded.

Honey nodded. Trixie flew out of the bed and hugged her friend as they jumped up and down.

Trixie raced through a shower and pulled on a pair of jeans and a tank top. Throwing their toiletries into their overnight bags, they dashed out the door, dropped the keys at the hotel front desk, and hopped in the car with the U-Haul.

The General Lee was already there in Dan’s driveway, but the Dukes were inside. Trixie and Honey bounded into the living room and were greeted with hugs, coffee and donuts. Dan looked like he had just rolled out of his bed, wearing a pair of sweatpants, t-shirt and bleary eyed as he nursed a cup of coffee. His dark hair was all askew but Trixie and Honey hadn’t seen him smile so broadly in a very long time.

Bo lovingly ran his hand through Trixie’s curls as he released her from the hug. Enthusiasm radiated from her as her blonde curls bounced and her china blue eyes sparkled at him. She had definitely grown into her curvaceous figure and he remembered the hot summer nights they had spent together. He very badly wanted to get reacquainted with those curves.

“I thought you were a dream,” she whispered in his ear as his lips brushed her cheek.

“You’re always in my dreams,” he murmured back.

“Too early in the day for that guys,” Dan was sitting on the sofa, long legs propped up on the coffee table, Daisy next to him. His arm was around the back of the sofa, casually against he shoulders, and she was sitting right up against him, her green eyes glancing at him adoringly.

“Never,” Trixie grinned.

Dan finished his coffee and set the cup down.

“Let me throw some clothes on and we can get started,” he stood up.

Daisy’s eyes followed him down the hall.

With a lot of mock groaning and moaning, it didn’t take the guys long to move the girls belongings into the house. It was sparse on furniture and decorations, so the girls’ things were most welcome.

“I’m definitely painting this room,” Trixie declared, looking around. “Look at how drab it is!”

“Me too. I don’t know who chose that awful gray but it’s got to go!” Honey studied her room. She had chosen the bedroom on the eastern side for its bright sunshine. She and Trixie would share a bathroom, but Trixie’s room was angled more towards the south, with Dan on the western side with the kitchen next to him, his own bath. The living room was on Honey’s other side.

“If you’re going to paint soon, why don’t we leave most of this in the living room?” Luke suggested, “that way we only have to move it once.”

They agreed it was a good plan, and the girls started discussing colors, as the guys wandered into the kitchen for coffee.

“Hey, it’s after lunchtime,” Dan said, glancing at his watch in surprise. “Why don’t Daisy and I go grab some food, and if you guys want to run to the paint shop, do your girly thing and pick out colors,” Dan grinned.

Trixie stuck her tongue out at him.

“Trix, why don’t you and Bo go get paint, and Luke and I can go to the fabric store and I’ll get material for curtains? I brought my little sewing machine. Some paint and pretty curtains will brighten the place up!” Honey beamed.

Luke tried to hide his being appalled but Dan laughed.

“All of you go get paint, then you and Trixie can go get fabric later, and spare Luke,” he grinned.

Luke gave him a grateful smile.

Trixie was all too happy to hop in the General Lee and they headed to a nearby paint store. Honey headed for the yellows and creams, while Trixie went for the blues.

“Look at these two. Which do you like better?” she held up two color samples but Bo shrugged.

“Sweetheart, they’re both light blue.”

“But this one has more of a green tinge to it,” Trixie waved one, trying not to notice how his dark blue t-shirt hugged the lean chest.

Bo sighed.

“I like them both. Pick whichever one you like.”

“You’re no help,” she smiled.

Bo grinned and suddenly pulled her to him, laying a heavy kiss on her. Without hesitation she wrapped her arms around him.

“This feels so right,” he whispered, drawing away reluctantly.

Trixie could only nod.

“Being here with you, looking at paint. It feels so right,” he murmured.

“I know,” she whispered, running her hand through his soft golden hair.

“My best girl,” he smiled.

Trixie grinned back at him.

Luke had been standing behind Honey as she studied the color samples, and slipped his arms around her slender waist. Smiling, she leaned back against him.

“I’m sorry I never kept in touch much,” he murmured in her ear, his deep baritone making her spine tingle. “I never was much for writin’.”

“It’s ok,” she breathed in the clean, masculine scent that was pure Luke. “Di and Daisy kept us up to speed. Somewhat,” she added dryly.

“I’m glad, but I’m even gladder that you’re here,” his lips brushed her neck and Honey closed her eyes as she felt his breath on her skin.

“Me too,” she whispered.

The paint clerk looked up, annoyed, wondering why he had two couples practically making out in his store.

Honey finally decided on soft yellow and cream colored paints, while Trixie chose a cobalt blue and a baby blue to contrast. They also took a can of white for the trim on the doors and windows. They mutually agreed on an ivory for the living room, and a warm peach for the kitchen. Dan hadn’t voiced an opinion so the girls selected a rich dark green for his room.

After buying their supplies, they headed back to the house, where they found Dan and Daisy with sandwiches and Cokes, and Daisy with flushed skin and Dan with his hair mussed even more.

They had a leisurely lunch, lounging on the furniture, and then got work taping off plastic sheets and wall for painting. The stereo was set up and soon they were painting to rock music.

Bo’s eyes drifted to Trixie’s dancing backside and he grinned. Sitting his roller down he reached over and smacked her butt lightly as she danced to the music.

“Bo!” she turned with a startled laugh, her face flushing red. The bandanna she wore on her head couldn’t contain her curls, and several were escaping.

“You got any idea how sexy you look right now?” he grinned, trapping her against the wall where she hadn’t painted yet.

“You’re awfully cute with paint on your nose,” she replied. He frowned.

“I ain’t got-” he laughed as she touched her brush to his nose. “How about you help me clean up later?” Trixie blushed and Bo laughed, kissing her gently. “Only when you’re ready.”

Giggling, she kissed him again.

Dan rolled his eyes but agreed to paint his room. He had hoped for some time in the big hammock he hung in the backyard, thinking he and Daisy might go lounge in it but the prospect of painting and redecorating made Daisy light up. Dan wouldn’t refuse her. All of the walls were a dingy, depressing gray. Only Daisy’s enthusiasm for the project got him motivated to paint the dull gray room, but he didn’t let her do much, she simply looked too frail. The t-shirt hung on her thin frame, and her jeans were belted tightly, but still looked too big. Her big green eyes were sunken into her face.

It didn’t take much to wear her out, and after a while, she had fallen asleep on his bed, despite the loud music of Chicago blaring from the other room. Dan watched her sleep for a several minutes, noting just how delicate her wrist was. He glanced up to find Luke in the doorway, who signaled him outside. Dan set his brush down and joined his friend in the living room.

“She don’t have no energy to do nothin’,” Luke said softly, “Cookin’ dinner is about it. She tried to keep waitressin’ but she don’t eat so she’s worn out.”

“We’ve got to fix that. Count me and the girls in,” Dan said firmly. “I know they’re just as worried. And I’d like to have a word with this Earl guy.”

“That won’t be hard,” Luke glared. “He comes around almost every night, expecting Daisy to feed him.”

Dan was frowning and shook his head. “How did this happen? What about Enos?”

Luke sighed. “He just never could get it together. She moved out here with us, and Earl was the first guy to come along sniffin’ for her. Me and Bo didn’t like him from the start but he had a charmin’ way about him that got her attention. Daisy was pretty broken up about Enos just never askin’ for her hand. And with Uncle Jesse havin’ passed on, she was pretty lonely,” Luke sighed again. “Losin’ Uncle Jesse really just did a number on her. She was closer to him than even we were. Him passin’ just broke her heart and she never recovered.

“We were traveling a lot of the time on the circuit and she met him at the diner. Sleazy little place not too far from here, that me and Bo didn’t want her workin’ at anyway. I don’t think he got real critical ‘bout her until he was sure she really cared about him. Gave her a big sob story about bein’ all alone, and you know Daisy always had somethin’ of a tender heart, especially for babies and con men. She really fell for him I guess, and started doin’ whatever it took to make him happy. By the time Bo and I were around more, she had already stopped eatin’ and was droppin’ weight.”

“He’s out of her life, if I have my say about it,” Dan said darkly.

Luke clapped his friend on the shoulder and smiled. “We was hopin’ you’d feel that way. ‘Cause she’s still runnin’ a high fever for you, and that’s mighty fine by us.”

***

Dinner that night was beer and burgers grilled outside as they all lounged around the patio, the radio playing softly, catching up on more tales since they had last seen each other. Bo and Trixie danced under the stars as Daisy curled up in Dan’s lap. Honey sat Luke, his arms securely around her shoulders.

It was late when the Dukes headed home, with a promise to return the next day to help moving the furniture, and then they’d have dinner at the Duke’s.

***

They had left the girls beds in the living room, and Trixie was woken by the sun flooding the room. Honey was already up and starting the coffee maker, and Dan stumbled out as she was burying her head under her pillow.

“Get up Freckles,” Dan said cheerfully. “Your man will be here soon.”

The thought of Bo made Trixie poke her tousled blonde out from the pillow with a smile.

“Yeah, I figured that would do it,” he chuckled.

It was a sober trio of Dukes that arrived, and one look at Daisy’s face told them what had happened.

“Earl showed up real late last night,” Bo said in a low voice as Dan wrapped his arms around Daisy, “and Daisy told him she didn’t want to see him anymore and he needed to leave.”

“He didn’t take too kindly to that,” Luke added, squeezing Honey with one arm, “so Bo and I had to escort him out.”

“He’ll be back,” Daisy muttered, her head buried against Dan’s chest. “He got real sore and he’s gonna come back.”

“Then we’ll take care of him,” Dan said firmly. “Don’t you worry about it.”

But Daisy remained quiet through the day, as the others forced a cheerful attitude while moving Trixie’s wicker furniture into her room. Honey’s furniture was heavier and took longer, and they set about unpacking clothes, and books, and kitchenware, radio blaring. Numerous bookshelves were still in the living room, along with a few other crates.

Giggling, Trixie had her hands full trying to unpack her clothes, Bo’s natural curiosity urging him to peek in her dresser. Finally she chased him out of the room while she finished hanging up her clothes, not wanting him to see her collection of bras and panties.

Bo found Dan unpacking books in the living room.

“Where’s Daisy?” he asked.

“Lying down,” Dan answered. “She’s pretty upset about this Earl guy?”

“Yeah. Never did see what she saw in him, but she does care about him. The mind effect he’s had on her is just unbelievable. And she’s worried he’s goin’ to cause trouble.”

“Is leaving her alone during the day a bad idea?”

“No, he works at a local garage. He don’t get off work until about seven. We’re usually home by then, unless we’re on a hot lead.”

“Good. I don’t think she should be left alone any more than necessary, and definitely not at night.”

“Sounds good to me,” Bo gave him his quick grin. “It’s good to have you here, Dan.”

“I’m damn happy to be here,” Dan replied with a smile.

It was a tired bunch that headed to the Dukes that night. The rooms were all painted, the girls were all moved in, and this week Honey would work on curtains. The living room had been painted last, everything crowded into the middle of the room. Already it felt like a brand new place.

Daisy had just set the platter of fried chicken on the table and called the boys when the phone rang.

“Daisy Duke,” she said cheerfully. Dan came in as her face fell. “No Earl, I meant it. I don’t want to see you any more . . . no . . . no, we’re done. Just stay away Earl!” Daisy slammed the phone in its cradle.

Dan stepped up to her and wrapped his arms around her from behind. “We’ll take care of him, babe, don’t you worry.”

“He’s just-oh Dan, I’m so glad you’re here!” she turned and threw her arms around him. Dan held her gently, afraid of squeezing her too tightly.

They were halfway through a lively dinner, the boys swapping stories about some of the criminals they had chased down recently, when an old, battered pickup drove up, backfiring.

“That thing needs some help,” Dan commented, and all three Bob Whites saw the glance exchanged between the Duke boys.

“It’s Earl,” Trixie said.

Bo nodded. “Yep. You girls stay-nevermind,” he amended quickly, seeing the narrowing of Trixie’s eyes. He had learned the hard way years ago to not try ordering Trixie around, let alone try to keep her out of the action.

Daisy had gone still, staring at her plate as a loud pounding started at the door.

“Daisy!” a muffled, deep voice yelled. “Daisy!”

“I’ll go talk to him,” she started to rise but Dan stopped her.

“We’ll go,” he said firmly, and the three men rose.

Honey put one arm around Daisy to comfort her and Trixie followed the men.

Dan opened the door and stared at Earl. The man was shorter, but heavier by probably thirty pounds, and mostly beer gut. He hadn’t shaved in several days and he reeked of alcohol and cigarettes. Dan wondered what Daisy had been thinking to agree to go out with this man.

“Who’re you?” Earl demanded. “And where’s Daisy?”

Trying to push past Dan, Earl got a nasty surprise when Dan shoved him back out the door.

“She doesn’t want to talk to you, and you’re not welcome here,” Dan easily switched to his authoritative Marshal tone.

“Who the hell are you boy, and what makes you think you talk for Daisy?” Earl snarled, not smart enough to hear the warning in Dan’s voice.

“Earl, we told you last night you ain’t welcome here. Now hit the pavement and get gone before things get ugly here,” Bo snapped.

Earl’s beady eyes fixed on the younger Duke cousin, then Dan’s muscular frame.

“Daisy’s my woman,” he growled, “and you ain’t gonna have her!”

His bulky frame lunged at Dan, but Dan was ready, and smashed his hand into Earl’s jaw, sending him backwards. Earl toppled over onto his back.

“Now see here, Mister Earl,” Dan said coldly, “you just assaulted a federal officer. I can arrest you right now and haul your ass down to the nearest jail, or you can get lost and forget you ever met Daisy Duke.”

“You can’t keep me from her!” Earl wiped the blood from his mouth.

“Try us,” the men said together.

Earl glared at Dan, the boys, and spied Trixie in the background.

“Who’s the little dish?” he asked with menace in his eyes.

“A figment of your imagination,” Dan answered in a warning tone. “Get lost, Earl.”

Earl glared at them for another minute, then turned and went back to his truck. The car fired up and he took off.

“We’re going to have more trouble from him,” Dan muttered.

Trixie slipped her arm around Bo. “If we’re to help Daisy recover,” she said quietly, “we need to make sure Earl is neutralized.”





***

Author’s Notes:

-a huge yeeee-haaaa! To Dana, my most lovely editor! All mistakes are mine.

-Anorexia and Bulimia are severe eating disorders that gone unnoticed, can be deadly. If you know someone who suffers from an eating disorder, please encourage them to get help.

-Daisy really did have a soft spot for puppies and con men. Four con men that we saw on the show.

-word count 3,015

Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books or Warner Brothers Studios in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © Random House books. Bo, Luke and Daisy Duke belong to Warner Brothers Studios. All references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.