Chapter Four


This chapter contains one brief grisly part near the very end.

The next morning’s search revealed nothing new, but Dan had discovered what looked to be a new trail. Instead of taking Daisy down it, they returned to meet the others and Dan, Bo, Jim and Trixie went back out to explore. The rest headed to the lake for a cool down.

“Check this out,” Dan murmured, pointing down.

Trixie’s china blue eyes followed his finger and she nodded. There was definitely a path of some sort, with a poor covering of branches and leaves.

Bo and Jim were looking in opposite directions of the trees, searching for anyone who might be watching. Bo carried his bow while Jim had a hunting rifle. Dan carried Regan’s shotgun.

Trixie stepped forward when a flash of something thick and brown and slithering near her foot made her freeze.

“Dan,” she hissed. “Copperhead!”

Dan went rigid. Bo and Jim were several feet behind them.

“Don’t move,” Dan muttered.

Trixie bit back her snappy retort. Of course she wouldn’t move! She of all people knew how dangerous they were. The day Bobby got bit was nowhere near forgotten.A soft hiss whipped by her and the arrow struck the copperhead in its head. It twitched and then lay still. Trixie and Dan relaxed as Dan took the barrel of his shotgun and tossed the snake away. Trixie turned to Bo, her pretty face lit up with pride as he grinned at her. Stepping over to her, he brushed his lips against her forehead as Jim’s face turned the color of his hair.

“My hero,” she whispered.

“Always,” he grinned.

Dan cleared his throat.

“Can we continue now?” he asked dryly. They resumed their hunt.

“Dan, through there,” Trixie pointed.

Dan nodded. “I think I know where we are.”

A moment later they were in the clearing of the cabin he had found with Daisy.

“There’s two paths to this cabin, and both are pretty fresh,” he remarked. “Daisy and I found this yesterday, but from the other direction.”

“Think it’s their hideout?” Bo asked.

“I didn’t earlier but let’s see if we can bust that door down. It was locked before.”

Together, Dan and Bo threw themselves against the door and it gave. They both grabbed at the frame to keep from falling in.

“Ricketier than I thought,” Dan grunted, as they straightened up.

“This definitely isn’t a hideout,” Trixie stepped in, followed by Jim. “Look at the dust!”

“Yeah, no one’s been here in a while,” Jim gave her a crooked smile. “Unless you were dusting.”

“Oh ha ha,” she smirked but inside she chuckled.

Jim resisted the strong urge to tug one of her curls. She may not be his girlfriend currently, but she was still his special girl. Except Bo had moved between them. Literally and physically.

“No evidence here, that’s for sure,” Bo said with disappointment.

“Well, it was worth a shot,” Dan sighed. “Let’s go.”

***

It was a subdued group that met for dinner. Jim didn’t even bother to comment on Bo sitting next to Trixie.

“We need to find them fast. Even if they’re only averaging three a day, it won’t take them long to wipe out what’s left,” Dan pushed his pot roast around on his plate. Under the table, Daisy patted his knee.

“Sugar, there’s got to be a way to find them,” she said softly.

“Lytell,” Trixie said suddenly. Everyone looked at her.

“That old man we scared?’ Luke asked.

Trixie nodded. “Remember when we thought Mr. Maypenny was a poacher? Even though he lives in the preserve, he had to come to Mr. Lytell’s store for a few supplies. If those poachers are hiding out somewhere nearby, and let’s face it, they’re not going to get a room at the Inn, then they have to get some supplies. Mr. Lytell is the closest store on Glen Road.”

“But he’s so nosy,” Honey replied.

Trixie giggled. “Only when it comes to me and snooping.”

“Right. Send any of the other girls in other than Trixie and he’ll tell you whatever you want to know,” Brian said with a half smile.

“In the morning, let’s ride over there,” Trixie said, her eyes beginning to glow. “I’ll wait outside, Honey, Di, Daisy-you girls go in and charm the old coot.”

“And ask him ‘bout this,” Bo handed the scrap of fabric he and Jim had found.

***

Jim and Brian departed for more studying as Trixie dashed home to do the chores. Bo willingly went with her, Dan and Daisy went for another round of patrolling, leaving Luke, Honey, Di and Mart to lounge on the porch. Luke and Mart sat strumming their guitars and joking around. Mart had done his chores in the morning, leaving him free for the evening.

Honey’s eyes lingered on Luke as he played. Every so often he’d look up to catch her watching him, and give her a wink and a smile. His bright blue eyes penetrated her chest, making her heart skip every time. Honey knew he would be leaving in a few days, going back to Hazzard, and maybe even joining the NASCAR circuit. Luke wasn’t the settling type. He was all about fast cars and freedom, and women. A country boy with little to his name, joining his cousin for some wild adventures. No, Luke Duke had admitted to her last year, he had never been able to date just one woman. But, she smiled, he had also said being around her made him want to try.

Honey wasn’t anywhere near ready to take the final step with Luke; it was only last night they went beyond a few kisses. And while she knew Dan and Daisy were miles ahead of them, Bo and Trixie’s affection was a close second. Honey wondered if Trixie had slept with Bo, but she hadn’t gotten up the nerve to ask, and Trixie hadn’t mentioned it. Some things were better left unknown.

And what about Brian? Handsome, steady, stable Brian, who never had time for her, and knew it. Dedicated Brian, who would be a doctor and be working long, crazy hours for the next several years. He would be a good husband eventually, and a provider. But Honey wanted more than just a provider. She wanted someone who made her heart race, who wasn’t afraid to take a risk, who would encourage her to loosen up a bit. Someone . . . like Luke Duke.

Luke’s deep baritone sang softly, and brought Honey back to the moment. He smiled at her as he sang, blending to Mart’s tenor. Honey decided she wasn’t going to think about which guy she’d prefer. Her heart would tell her when it was ready to decide, she thought, her eyes resting on Luke.

Bo and Trixie were wandering back up to Manor House, hearing the faint strains of guitars and the boy singing.

“Trix,” Bo said hesitantly, stopping to pull her towards him.

“Yes?” her china blue eyes twinkled at him. “Bo, what’s wrong?”

“I need to tell you something,” his sapphire blue eyes weren’t sparkling like usual.

“Bo, what is it?” she looked up at him as he slipped his arms around her waist.

“It’s nothin’ to be scared of, Trixie, but it’s ‘bout us goin’ back to Hazzard.”

“I don’t want you too,” she said softly.

His finger traced her jaw. “I don’t either, but we may not go back for long.”

Trixie looked up, puzzled.

“NASCAR has been trying to recruit me for a while, as a driver. Sponsors and all. I’m thinkin’ ‘bout doin’ it.”

“To drive?” she asked her eye wide. He nodded. “But Bo-those cars go so fast!”

“Shoot, ain’t nothin’ more than drivin’ through Hazzard,” he gave her his roguish grin but she didn’t smile back. Bo bit his tongue so he wouldn’t blurt it out that he wanted her to go with him. Trixie had her own dreams to chase, and he wouldn’t interfere. She deserved an education and all that life had to offer her. She deserves more than just a country boy who drives too fast, he thought sadly.

“That’s really dangerous, Bo,” she looked away but his strong hand cupped her face gently, making her look at him.

“I know Trix, but I’ll be all right. Luke is goin’ with me, as my mechanic.”

Trixie leaned into his chest, knees feeling like jelly. His strong arms wrapped around her as he rested his head on hers. The thought of Bo tearing around that race track at ungodly speeds made her dizzy. She had seen the crash pictures. NASCAR drivers had a short life span.

Part of Trixie was thrilled. The adrenaline rush would be unbelievable. Bo was a fabulous driver, she could practically hear the crowd screaming for him, jumping and down, like she would. Would he ask her to go with him? she wondered. Not that she could, not with school starting next week.

“You mad at me for not tellin’ you sooner?” his voice wrapped around her, making her shiver with delight.

“No,” she said honestly, looking into his eyes, “but I’m worried for you.”

“Don’t be,” he kissed her gently, “and you can tune in to see me every weekend.”

Trixie smiled but part of her was sad. He didn’t want her there, he wasn’t going to ask her to go with him. Bo was nowhere near ready to give up his freedom.

Trixie hugged him tightly and their lips met for a tender kiss before they headed back to Manor House.

***

Luke and Honey had gone for a stroll down by the lake. The warm summer night was muggy as they walked slowly, hand in hand. Honey was grateful Luke wasn’t the chatterbox that Bo was. They didn’t always have to talk, they understood each other without words. His tendency to be the thinker of the pair balanced him against Bo’s rashness. Trixie and Bo could talk each other to death.

“It’s a nice night,” Luke finally said.

Honey nodded. “Not quite as humid as Hazzard.” She liked the way her hand felt so small and delicate in his larger, rough hand. It nestled into his so neatly, the way she fit against his body.

The lake came into view and the pair wandered towards it, standing on the boat dock. The small boat that Trixie had christened The Water Witch the first summer she met Honey, bobbed in the water, tied to the dock. A gentle breeze blew over the water, stirring it just a bit, and lifting Honey’s hair up.

Luke drew her close and Honey melted against him as their lips touched. Timidly, she reached up and ran her hand through his thick hair as he crushed her lips against his.

When they broke apart, Luke suggested they sit. Kicking off their shoes and Luke rolling his jeans up, they hung their feet over the edge. Honey leaned up against Luke as he kept his arms around her, gently caressing her arm as his lips grazed her cheek.

“Wanna go for a swim?” he whispered, his eye twinkling mischievously.

“I didn’t bring my suit,” she giggled, slipping her arm around his neck.

“We don’t need ‘em,” he laughed.

“Luke Duke!” she gasped. “You aren’t serious!”

“Sure I am. We go skinny dippin’ all the time back home.”

“Isn’t that how the General got stolen a couple of times?” she chuckled.

“Yeah but I ain’t gotta worry ‘bout the General. He’s at Crabapple Farm, and you and me are here.”

Honey was grateful for the dark of the night so he couldn’t see how red her face was.

Luke smiled, knowing her pretty face was probably the color of Jim’s hair.

“I’ll even keep my boxers on, if it makes you more comfortable. You can swim in your shorts and top.”

Honey bit her lip and looked away.

“Kitten, what’s wrong?” he asked, reaching for her chin so she’d look at him.

“I just- feel really stupid. I’m-you’re so much more experienced than me-”

“Hey, c’mere,” he drew her close, running his hand over her soft hair. “You ain’t gotta be worried ‘bout nothin’ like that. Sex ain’t the only thing I’m interested in, especially when it comes to you.”

“Why are you interested in me?” she asked, looking up at him.

“Because you’re an amazing person,” he kissed gently. “I’ve never met a girl like you, who was so sweet she’s named after the most appropriate condiment. You’re smart, you’ve got a strong will when you want it, you keep Trixie grounded-ok, you try-” he laughed, “the way I try to keep Bo out of trouble. You’ve got goals, and you’re focused on them. You don’t use your daddy’s name to open doors. You’re every bit as determined as Trixie to be a success, on your own merit. You work for what you want. And I happen to think you’re the most beautiful girl I’ve ever laid eyes on, especially when you smile and look all shy, your eyes just turn me to jelly,” he finished.

Honey smiled up at him and kissed him gently. “You want to know something?”

“Sure,” his eyes were locked on hers.

“You come off as this reckless good ol’ boy, but then you talk as sweetly as any poet.”

Luke chuckled. “I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“Good, it was meant as one,” she kissed him again. “You ready for that swim?”

A while later, Brian was out walking, trying to clear his head. The levelheaded Belden moped as he wandered, wondering. It had been his choice to let Honey go. Of course he regretted it the minute he had done so, but it wasn’t fair to expect her to wait. And obviously he had had no clue Luke Duke was going to surface and he’d have to witness first hand her adoration for another male.

What made it worse was that Luke was nice. Brian didn’t have Jim’s hot temper to flare every time Luke got near Honey. Brian even liked Bo. It was hard not to like the Duke cousins, all three were outgoing and friendly. And Luke obviously cared for Honey. But he was older, Brian knew. Luke was six years older than Honey. And from the stories he had heard, Luke wasn’t the settling type and both Duke boys had reputations for being players.

Brian didn’t want to see Honey or Trixie get played by one of the charming Dukes. His little sister was entirely too affectionate with Bo, but Brian knew he couldn’t say much. With Jim it had been different. Jim was his best friend. Brian trusted Jim. He didn’t know the Dukes well enough to step in, and he knew Trixie would fly off the handle and tell him to butt out if he did.

A splash brought him out of his reverie and glanced up, surprised to find himself at the lake. He knew that feminine laugh, and of course he recognized the halter top and shorts and sandals on the boat dock. Right next to a pair of jeans and blue plaid shirt.

Swallowing hard, Brian made a hasty retreat, before he saw something else he didn’t want to.

Honey had only stripped to her bra and panties, and quickly dove into the water. It was decidedly different than swimming with Trixie, especially when Luke drew her near and she was up close against his broad chest. The cold of the water was quickly forgotten as the heat between them rose.

Luke’s hands caressed her as back as her lips teased his. Her slim legs were wrapped around him, as her slender hands caressed his chest.

“Kitten,” he groaned. “I think we better stop.”

“Why?” she giggled, gently nipping his ear. “I’m having fun.”

“Because I know you ain’t ready to take this further and if we ain’t careful, we’re gonna.”

Honey reluctantly pulled her body away from him but he caught her for another kiss.

“I hate to admit that you’re right,” she said softly.

Luke moved a strand of wet hair from her cheek. “It comes with being old.”

Honey burst into laughter. “You’re not old.”

Luke just smiled as he pulled himself up out of the water onto the dock, and reached to help her up. Stretching out on the dock, they lay together as they looked up at the stars. Honey’s head rested on his chest, her slender figure snuggled up against him.

“You and Trix still planning on being detectives?” he asked.

“That’s the plan. She’d love to join the FBI or something bigger. You got her thinking about it last summer, after mentioning the Marshals.”

“It’s dangerous work, you know,” his blue eyes stared up at the velvety night sky.

“No more dangerous than racing cars around in a circle at breakneck speeds,” she said dryly.

Luke laughed. “Good point.”

“Why are we talking about danger?” Honey shifted around so she half draped over his chest.

“To keep my mind off makin’ love to you on this dock,” he replied. He laughed at her sudden speechlessness. “We probably should get back to the house, Kitten, before your brother comes hunting for me.”

Honey just nodded, wishing she was brave enough to take things further with Luke.

***

“Enjoy your walk?” Jim asked when Brian returned to his room.

“Not really,” Brian answered. Stripping off his shirt, he fell on the twin bed that he always slept in at Manor House.

“Am I really being a jerk about all this?” Jim asked. He was on his back, one arm over his forehead.

Brian sighed as he lay on his back, staring at the ceiling.

“I wouldn’t say you’re being a jerk, considering the circumstances.”

“Your sister knows I love her. All the Bob-Whites know I love her. The Dukes know it. So what the hell is happening?”

Brian was silent for a minute before he spoke. “I think you two have just grown apart. You two are really different people.”

“Meaning?” Jim propped himself up on one arm to look at his best friend.

“Trix and Bo are a lot alike.”

“They’re nothing alike!” Jim shot back. “Bo is impulsive, headstrong, and addicted to danger!”

Brian waited while Jim realized what he had said.

“Very funny,” Jim growled.

“I think we’ve spent so much time trying to protect the girls, we haven’t really been seeing them as others do. We get too wrapped up in our roles.”

“You been reading those self help books again?” Jim asked. Brian half smiled.

“No. I’ve just been trying to understand the female mind.”

Jim snorted. “If you do, let me know. I’ll finance it, we can make a fortune.”

“Bo gives her something she doesn’t get from anyone else,” Brian said thoughtfully, rearranging his pillow. “He meets her head on for adventure.”

“I’ve always supported her!” Jim protested.

“But how many times afterward have we reamed her for it? Made her feel bad-unintentionally I know- for endangering herself and usually Honey?”

“And Bo doesn’t do that,” Jim said bitterly. “Why does he make me so angry when her dating other guys really doesn’t? They’re just an annoyance.”

“Because you know no one could ever seriously date Tad Webster. Bo is a bigger threat. I think he’s as reckless as she is, and the two together are a dangerous combination. I know it’s hard seeing the woman you love with someone else . . . but when you and Trix are together all you do is argue like crazy.”

“So how do I win her back?” Jim hit his mattress.

“I don’t know Jim. And I don’t know that you can. But one thing is sure: as long as Bo Duke is around, you can’t. And Luke had a point. They’re only here temporarily, and you better get a rein on that temper of yours.”

Jim sighed and ran his hand through his thick, coppery hair. “I know. I keep telling myself Bo isn’t so bad, but then I see him with Trixie, and I just see red.”

“Trixie is the one thing you can’t control, Jim,” Brian said gently. “I know you like to keep everything organized, and under your control, but Trixie . . .”

“That’s one of the things I love most about her, even though it drives me insane. She’s so free spirited.”

“Look, I know it’s really hard to sit back and watch while the girl you love is being charmed further and further away. Maybe once he’s gone she’ll realize that you’re still here. Mr. Responsible and Honorable.”

“You make me sound really boring,” Jim chuckled.

“Hey that’s my title,” Brian smiled. Jim glanced over at his friend.

“What about Honey? You’re taking this awfully well.”

Brian just shook his head. “It’s my own fault. I told Honey to see other people. She dates Nick Roberts semi-regularly, but I can’t say anything. She’s young and beautiful, and asking her to put up with my insane school schedule and wait for me isn’t fair to her.”

“And Luke?”

“Is a nice guy,” Brian sighed. "He even offered to look at the Queen and see if he could get her running."

“And he's quieter,” Jim said thoughtfully. “Dark haired, definitely more intelligent than Bo.”

“What are you getting at?” Brian sat up.

“Honey’s substituting Luke for you!” Jim said triumphantly.

“Jim, come on. Luke and I aren’t that much alike.”

“Sure you are. Tall, dark haired, smart, quiet, older.”

Brian shook his head. “You’re grasping for straws. Luke is every bit the adrenaline junkie Bo is, just not so . . . rash about everything.”

Jim smirked. “I know my sister. She likes dark and quiet. Even Nick Roberts fits that description.”

Brian half smiled. “You’ve been reading too many psychology books.”

“I bet I’m right,” Jim muttered as the boys fell silent.

***

Early the next morning, after Trixie had dashed home to feed the chickens, Mart went to help with the weeding as the girls saddled their horses and headed to Lytell’s store. Dan, Bo and Luke patrolled, searching for more fallen deer while Jim and Brian studied.

Trixie waited outside with the horses as the girls went in.

Inside the dim store, Mr. Lytell peered up over his heavy glasses the girls.

“Oh hello, Miss Honey, Miss Diana. Who’s that with you?”

“Mr. Lytell, this is our friend Daisy, she’s visiting from Atlanta, Georgia,” Honey said sweetly.

Daisy stepped up and flashed her famous Duke smile.

“Pleasure to meet you Mr. Lytell,” she said softly.

“Pleasure’s mine, miss. Got some of the strawberry pop you girls like over there in the cooler.”

“Why thank you Mr. Lytell, that’s so thoughtful of you!” Diana exclaimed, getting three bottles out, but she had no intention of drinking the stuff.

“You look more like a lady ought to, not that harum-scarum Belden girl you keep with,” Mr. Lytell looked Daisy over.

“Say, Mr. Lytell,” Honey leaned on the counter, “since you know everything that happens on Glen Road,” Mr. Lytell preened just a bit, “we were wondering if you had seen any strangers around here?”

“Other than two wild boys in an orange car the other day that almost killed me?” he griped. “There was a couple of older men in there the other day, buying some camping supplies. Why? You girls on some mystery hunt?”

“Well, we heard there were strangers seen walking on Glen Road,” Honey said smoothly, handing Mr. Lytell money for the pop, “And figured you were sure to see them. One was a tall man, brown plaid jacket.”

“Well now,” he said with a bit more pomp, “I do still ride old Belle out, but I haven’t seen anyone walking on Glen Road. And the fella wearing the brown plaid jacket wasn’t tall. Real short, dark hair. Scrawny looking thing.”

“See, we knew you’d know,” Di said sweetly as the girls left. “Thank you, Mr. Lytell.” Outside, she thrust a bottle of pop up at Trixie, “Here, take this nasty stuff.”

Trixie grinned and popped the bottle open.

“Anything?”

“There were definitely two men buying camping supplies,” Honey answered as they remounted their horses.

“No wonder they didn’t use the old cabin,” Trixie said.

“Should we go back and look some more for them?” Daisy asked.

Trixie nodded but Honey shook her head.

“Are you kidding? The boys would have a fit if we went without them.”

Trixie snorted. “Let ‘em.”

In the end they agreed to return to the clubhouse, where the boys would meet them eventually.

“So Daisy,” Di with a twinkle in her pretty violet eyes, “how’s Dan?”

Daisy blushed and giggled. “He’s, uh, fine.”

“We know that,” Honey laughed. “Give us some dirt!”

“Oh no, I couldn’t,” Daisy giggled, covering her mouth.

“C’mon, we want to hear about our favorite wood chopper,” Honey snickered.

Trixie nodded, sipping her second strawberry pop.

“No kidding. All those girls at school always drooled over him,” she added. “Now, give us the goods!”

“He’s sweet, and kind, and caring, and he listens,” Daisy said dreamily, resting her long legs up on the table.

“Is he a good kisser?” Di demanded with a laugh.

Daisy giggled again and hid her face behind her hands.

“Oh yes,” she answered, her voice muffled, “the best. He really knows how to turn a girl on.”

The girls burst into laughter.

“Is his body as nice as we like to think it is?” Trixie asked with a mischievous grin.

Daisy’s face was bright red as she nodded. The girls cheered and burst into laughter.

“So none of you have ever dated him?” Daisy asked in amazement.

They all shook their heads.

“Mart’s always had my heart,” Di answered.

“No, it’s always been Jim for me,” Trixie sighed. “Well, most of the time. When we’re not butting heads over me getting myself into some scrape.”

“And I’ve never really had eyes for anyone other than Brian,” Honey added.

Daisy gave them a sly grin.

“Until now?”

Trixie and Honey both blushed a deep red.

“Luke just-Luke is great,” Honey managed.

Trixie giggled. “Bo is better than great. When he’s with me, I feel all squishy inside and hot and I just want to tear his clothes off,” she admitted.

Honey’s mouth dropped open and she laughed. “I could never word it so . . . eloquently.”

Trixie laughed. “He just has this amazing effect on me.”

Di and Daisy exchanged glances.

“Well, I can tell you two this, after y’all left last summer, I ain’t never seen those boys mope so much. Bo just laid out on the hood of the General for days. Luke was quieter than usual. Both were grumpy. Things got back to normal after a few weeks, but I tell you what, those boys are crazy somethin’ fierce over you two.”

“Really?” Trixie grinned.

Daisy nodded.

“Yep. I swear, they was acting like two moon struck calves.”

The girls giggled.

“I think I hear them!” Trixie dashed to the window and saw the three approaching, joking and laughing.

The boys came in and their laughter died when they saw the four girls laughing hysterically.

“That’s never a good sign,” Dan said, eying them warily. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing. Just girl talk,” Trixie said cheekily, kissing Bo, who gave her a roguish grin and kissed her back. She offered him a bottle of strawberry pop but he decined, a decidely repulsed expression on his handsome face.

“Like I said, never a good a sign,” Dan said dryly, dropping onto the old sofa next to Daisy. She promptly moved to his lap. Luke sat of the sofa arm next to Honey.

“Find anything?” she asked. The guys shook their head.

“Nothing. But on one hand, hopefully that means no more deer today.”

“Lytell said a couple of men bought camping supplies the other day,” Daisy told them. Trixie nodded.

“Said they were definitely not from here, and not real polite. Matched the fabric scrap you found,” Honey added.

“He also said something about a couple of young hooligans in an orange car,” Trixie laughed.

Bo grinned, sitting on a chair and pulling her into his lap.

“So we’re still at square one,” Dan sighed.

“Maybe to square two. We know for sure there are at least two of them.”

“Probably no more,” Dan said thoughtfully, “Two is hard enough to disguise, especially if they’re out camping somewhere. The more people, the bigger the mess.”

“Square one and a half,” Honey said optimistically.

***

That evening, after dinner at the Beldens, Dan remembered he had forgotten something back at his and Maypenny’s cabin. After dashing off, the BWGs drifted out to the porch, accompanied by Bobby, as the nightly round of music began. Brian and Jim retreated to the Manor House for one last cram session before their test the next day.

As had happened the last couple nights, the couples drifted off. Daisy, supposed to meet Dan at the clubhouse, slipped away when the others were busy. Hurrying up the path, she smiled. The sun was setting and it was going to be a lovely evening, perfect for advancing her relationship with Dan.

Dan Mangan. The only man that had ever truly stirred her blood. Oh sure, she had thought she was in love with Earl, and Jamie Lee a couple years back, but it was nothing like this. They had been nothing but con men. Dan was the real deal.

Reaching the clubhouse, she remembered the door was kept locked. Dan would be here momentarily, she was sure.

A twig snapping behind her startled her.

“Dan is that you?” she called out, “Sugar, you here? Dan?”

Stepping back she was deciding to wait when a hand clamped over her mouth, stifling her scream, and she was grabbed from behind.

***

Dan hurried towards the clubhouse. He had been delayed longer than expected at Maypenny’s and he didn’t want Daisy waiting for him long, especially with those poachers out running around.

With the clubhouse in sight he grinned. Daisy Duke was the brightest joy in his life the last few days. Smart, pretty, feisty, and definitely sexy. And she had the charisma that seemed to be a Duke family trait.

Something on the door of the clubhouse made him stop, and he squinted in the sun. Rushing forward he froze when he realized it was a bloody deer leg, nailed to the door and a note pinned under it, blood dripping down, marring the words.

Dan didn’t touch it but his heart stopped cold as he read the scribbled, “Call off the hunt or the girl is next.”

Horrified, he turned and raced down the path towards the Manor House.

Bo and Trixie, laughing, holding hands and looking rather flushed and guilty were headed towards him.

“Dan,” what’s wrong?” Trixie called out, alarmed at realizing her friend was pale.

“Daisy. The poachers grabbed Daisy!”





***

Author Notes

-a huge yee haa! to Dana, my lovely editor.
-The General Lee did get stolen while the boys were skinny dipping, once in Season One in the Episode The Ghost of General Lee, and another episode I can’t quite recall off the top of my head. shameful ain’t it?
-Word Count 5,156



Disclaimer: Trixie Belden® is a registered trademark of Random House books. These pages are not affiliated with Random House Books or Warner Brothers Studios in any way, shape or form. No profit is made here, only entertainment. Images of Trixie Belden and other series characters are copyright © Random House books. Bo, Luke and Daisy Duke belong to Warner Brothers Studios. All references and characters and are used lovingly and respectfully, albeit without permission.

This website is © 2005-2025 Mal. All rights reserved. All graphics created by Mal and may not be used without permission.